Ready to make this summer your healthiest one yet? Here are 4 simple strategies to kick-start your detox right before summer, plus I’ve got the best detox bowl recipe for you.
1. Clean Up Your Food.
Toss those gut-irritating and toxic foods that we’ve discussed before. Goodbye sugar, gluten, dairy, soy, alcohol and processed foods. Fill your pantry and fridge with organic, non-GMO whole foods like fruits; veggies; lean proteins such as beans and organic poultry; gluten-free whole grain complex carbs such as quinoa, wild rice, sweet potatoes, beets and other root veggies; and healthy fats such as coconut oil, ground flaxseeds and avocado. Not sure where to start? Try this Big Sunny Detox Bowl recipe I’ve got for you.
Focus on certified organic foods to keep you and your family away from toxic pesticides, herbicides, growth hormones and antibiotics that lead to Leaky Gut and escalate autoimmune issues.
2. Heal Your Gut.
We know by now that 80% of our amazing immune system is in our gut. Therefore, having a healthy gut is key. If you have food intolerances, allergies, autoimmune disease, or often gets colds, then it’s time to take a look at your gut health. Your gut is where your body interacts with the outside world because what you eat ends up in your gut. The goal is to keep bad bacteria, parasites, and viruses out of your body and your gut.
When you have a Leaky Gut, pieces of the food that you eat get into your bloodstream and cause issues such as bloating and autoimmune disease.
So, what do I do with my clients to heal their guts? Here’s a start.
- STEP 1: REMOVE all the gut infections such as SIBO, Candida and parasites; food irritants and inflammatory foods such as caffeine, alcohol, gluten, dairy, soy, corn, etc.
- STEP 2: REPLACE these old foods with organic, whole foods & ADD digestive enzymes and other supplements to help maximize your digestion.
- STEP 3: REPRODUCE with good bacteria to create a balance in your gut.
- STEP 4: REPAIR & FIX the lining of your gut with aloe vera, Omega 3 fish oils, L-glutamine, bone broth and more.
3. Reduce Your Stress.
It’s almost summertime so start to let go of some of those stressors from work, family, friends, etc. It took me years to realize that stress comes in many forms and the above examples are just a small part of it…. viruses, infections and autoimmune diseases are also stressors on your body that won’t let it heal no matter what you do, unless you address these underlying causes and revamp your bod pod!
Remove or reduce the stress in your life to prevent and treat your autoimmune disease or health issues. It’s important to know that your body cannot heal when your body and cells are in overdrive. Take a backseat and hit the beach, soak up some vitamin D from the sunshine and enjoy time with family and friends this summer!
4. Reduce Your Body Burden from Toxins.
Ahhhhh this is the BIG ONE! I saved the best for last.
You all know about my toxic overload and how that affected my chronic health issues throughout the last decade. Now, I’m armed with a shower filter, water filter, organic food, non-toxic makeup, personal care products, pots n’ pans, an air filter and much more! Here are four areas you can clean up right now:
- STEP 1: WATER. This is a biggie! This goes for your shower, your bathtub, your sinks, etc. We absorb what’s in our water when we drink it AND also when we shower with it or bathe in it. Avoid tap water and invest in a water filter to remove chlorine, heavy metals, pesticides, medications and herbicides.
- STEP 2: AIR. I just purchased an air filter for my home. We spend so much time indoors, it’s a good idea to invest in a HEPA filter to get rid of the junk you’re breathing in!
- STEP 3: COOKWARE AND PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS. Take a look at my non-toxic cookware and personal care pages where you can choose products that you are using on your body as well as to cook your food which do not have toxins in them that leach into your skin and your food!
- STEP 4: FOOD. Take the body burden off your body by eating organic so you’re not ingesting toxic pesticides, herbicides, growth hormones and antibiotics found in non-organic foods. If you eat seafood, eat smaller fish to lower your toxic load of heavy metals and avoid tuna, swordfish and any other larger fish.
And here’s a little more info on how to reduce your body burden from toxins.
And now for a tasty (and detoxifying) whole grain recipe that you’ll love. I actually think this detox bowl tastes even better as leftovers the next day…
Try to buy all of the ingredients you’ll need for this detox bowl organic. Here’s why: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable broth divided
- 1 large onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- pinch ground turmeric
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 1/2 cups cooked rice brown or wild
- 1 cup shaved purple cabbage
- 3 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp. dried currants or dried cranberries or raisins
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 Tbsp. raw pumpkin seeds
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tsp. fresh lime juice plus more if needed
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp. vegetable broth and onions. Cook until onions are golden brown, then add garlic and cumin seeds. Add cherry tomatoes, cumin, coriander, turmeric and red pepper flakes; lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
Add rice, remaining 4 Tbsp. vegetable broth and cook until warm throughout, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat. Portion rice into serving bowls with cabbage, cilantro, currants, spinach, greens, pumpkin seeds, sea salt and pepper, to taste and a drizzle of lime juice. Serve warm.
TheHealthyApple.com participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites.