Dessert for you tonight.
A simple gluten-free pecan pie.
Ya I know it’s four days before Christmas but ya gotta treat yourself, don’t ya?
My thinking exactly.
As I stood in my kitchen over the stove, baking away a million gingerbread people, I eyed a few pecan halves that I had hanging around my pantry. Usually, I would grind them up and use them as breadcrumbs for our holiday dishes but right then, the idea of a pecan pie, dense with pecans (of course) sounded absolutely fabulous.
So I’ve never made a pecan pie.
Nor have I ever had a pecan pie.
I dunno why but we never had it for dessert growing up. Kinda like pork chops- never had those so I dunno what they taste like. Hehe.
Okay back to the pie. Focus, people.
It’s a lot easier than I thought. And it looks so pretty. It’s one of those desserts you feel so good about making, isn’t it? I think that’s because we consider a pecan pie recipe being so labor intensive and difficult- so when it pops out of the oven and actually looks pretty darn good- it’s totally smile worthy.
After having a slice, I realized this pie is exactly what I was missing the past thirty years. It’s a bit more moist than your average pecan pie and maybe not as pretty as the ones that look perfect in the food store, but wow, this pie is so yummy.
Now I’m waiting for the taste testers (my family) to finish it up for breakfast this morning. They’re almost done. O lordy! Hey, it’s the holidays; anything goes, right?
And don’t forget to head over to my Facebook Page where I’m hosting the ’25 Days of Christmas’ Giveaway Every Day. I’m giving away a new gluten-free gift everyday from December 1st-December 25th.
Enjoy and Good Luck!
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. butter softened
- 1/2 tsp. Simply Organic Almond Extract
- 1/4 tsp. Simply Organic All-Spice
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. gluten-free all purpose flour such as Bob's Red Mill
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 9- inch gluten free pie shell
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon zest for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add sugars, butter, extract, spices,salt and flour; mix well to combine. Add chopped pecans.
- Transfer mixture to pie crust. Arrange pecan halves on top of the pie around the perimeter.
- Bake for 1 hour or until set.
- Remove from oven; set aside for 20 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with fresh lemon zest.