Earlier this week, I met with one of my clients and I decided to introduce her to bison…we purchased freshly ground bison from Whole Foods Market and went back to her apartment to create some tasty bison balls! After scouring her fridge, I came across freshly ground nut butter and opted to add that to the ingredient list…needless to say, I was yearning for a bison ball and decided to whip them up in my little kitchen last night! I used freshly ground macadamia nut butter and a few other fabulous ingredients that I had in my fridge…the result: Amazing.
Moving forward, I will always make a note to add nut butter to my bison balls, hehe…it added the perfect texture and taste…it was beyond delish! Just be sure the nut butter is softened before you create these balls as the softness of the nut butter combines perfectly with the other ingredients.
Now I can’t wait to try this recipe with other nut butters…almond, peanut, cashew…O My! I’ve got some exciting ideas for other nut butter balls…coming soon!
- 1/2 lb. ground bison
- 2 Tbsp. natural macadamia nut butter (softened)
- 2 tsp. lime zest
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Optional Toppings: Nutritional yeast, salsa, Greek plain yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Using hands, mix well until all ingredients are well combined.
- Spoon bison mixture into balls (or patties) and place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes; flipping the tray after 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast.
- Serve warm with salsa and Greek plain yogurt for dipping.
In The News This Week…
SONY boss asks theater owners for healthier snacks
10 Secret Stressors
And, the best news of the week: Congrats to my Mother for earning the Teacher of The Year award at her school! I love you, Mom…Happy early birthday!
Share your thoughts
i know this has very little to do with the recipe (though that sounds awesome as well) but tell Jo I said congrats!!!!
i have never tried bison – but these sounds really good, nut butter and meat sound like a really odd combo, but I think i’ve also seen a meatball + grape jelly recipe, now that is odd! hope you are doing great, can’t wait to meet up again – you bet the next time I’m in the city I will be giving you a call =)
Awww; thanks so much, darling…great to hear from you…I miss you gals already and hope all is well with you…I hope you enjoy my bison balls..they’re quite delish… Have a fabulous day and enjoy your weekend!!! Let me know when you are in Manhattan as I would love to see you!!! Best, Amie
Oh these sound great! I love bison!! What a clever recipe!!
I haven’t had bison in forever, but I really like the sounds of this flavor combo? So creative!