Now that we’ve got apples, let’s make an apple salad.
And while we’re at it, let’s toss in some pears, too.
Because, why not?
It’s summer and I’m all about diving into the fresh fruits that are pouring into every farmers market right about now.
Plus, pears n’ apples go great together in salads.
Which is why I’m excited to share with you a way to combine the two for a naturally sweet dish that’s also got a touch of savory n’ spicy to it.
Let me show you how to make it in your kitchen.
This recipe is super easy to assemble. It’s like 1-2-3.
And who doesn’t want easy in the summer?
All you’ve gotta do is toss everything together and then eat. Sounds pretty easy, doesn’t it?
I made sure to include a bit of crunch and sweetness (without sugar, of course) and then I rounded it out with a spicy dressing. As for this fabulous dressing, there’s nothing like a pinch of cumin and crushed red pepper flakes to wake up your taste buds. Freshly squeezed lemon juice and avocado oil add a touch of flavor without being too overpowering, so you can easily use this dressing or other salads, if you wish. You may just grow to love cumin. Who knows?
So, what do we have in this bowl of goodness?
Purple Cabbage (yes, most people call it red cabbage but I like to call it purple cabbage because it’s pretty and purple)
Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
Avocado Oil (or extra-virgin olive oil). This is my favorite brand.
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
And that about sums it up. It’s legit. And delicious.
And everything you’ve been waiting for this summer.
So, turn on your air conditioning, jump into your kitchen, put on some good music, like my Play Lists, and have fun.
If you make this recipe, come show me and post a picture to your social media account and tag me so I can take a look! I love seeing your creations on facebook, pinterest, instagram, twitter and google plus.
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why I eat organic: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 1 medium head purple cabbage finely chopped
- 2 cups mixed organic salad greens
- 1 large Honey crisp apple thinly slice
- 1 large ripe pear diced
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 large scallion sliced
- 1 Tbsp. pecans
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin seeds
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 2 Tbsp. organic avocado oil
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. cumin ground
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the cabbage, salad greens, apple, pear, avocado, scallion, pecans and pumpkin seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice, lemon zest, avocado oil, red pepper flakes and cumin. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground pepper and whisk again. Drizzle over the salad and serve immediately.