That’s what summer is all about, isn’t it?
There’s nothing complicated about it. Unless your a kid in a camp that you don’t like- then it ain’t simple. (Been there-done that! Thanks Ma.)
But for everyone else, we’re all looking for simplicity, especially as the temps rise and we enter into August.
To me, it’s all about keeping things (especially my food) as simple as possible.
Simple. Simple. Simple.
So, in the theme of keeping things simple, I’m sharing with you a salad that’s easy to whip up in your kitchen and can be made anytime of the year- but for some reason- the harissa sauce and cauliflower combo reminds me of summer. I’m not sure why. But it does. It may remind you of winter, and heck, if it does, flag this recipe for December and eat it then.
But for me, it’s time to dig into this baby when the temps rise.
This salad is a mix of naturally sweet flavors (hello juicy pear and fresh figs AND sweet Jersey tomatoes—that look like watermelon in these pictures) and spicy/savory flavors (harissa sauce—here is my favorite brand, cauliflower, green bell pepper and onions). It’s a summertime party in your mouth; you’ve never had a combo like this. Trust me, folks.
I know we all don’t like kicking up our ovens when it’s hot outside but this is only for a little bit and my secret is that if you roast the cauliflower on a Sunday night, when it’s cooler outside, then you can store the roasted cauliflower in the fridge all week long in a sealed container. Easy peasy. And simple, of course.
So, without further ado, dive in and enjoy!
If you make this recipe, come show me and post a picture to your social media account and tag me so I can take a look! I love seeing your creations on facebook, pinterest, instagram, twitter and google plus.
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why I eat organic: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 1 inch florets
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 head Swiss chard, thinly sliced leafs and stems and ends trimmed
- 1 large ripe heirloom tomato, diced
- 1 pear, large diced
- 2 fresh figs, halved
- 1 green bell pepper, large diced
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 2 Tbsp. harissa sauce
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with the oil. Then sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Use your hands to coat each floret to ensure each floret is coated with oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes or until golden brown,
- Meanwhile, combine the salad greens, Swiss chard, tomato, pear, figs, bell pepper, red onion and parsley in a large bowl. Add the roasted cauliflower and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the harissa sauce. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. If desired, add a splash of oil, depending on how thin your brand of harrisa sauce is. Drizzle the dressing over the salad. Garnish with lemon zest and serve immediately.