A beautiful weekend, it was.
I spent Saturday in Manhattan: the only weekend day I’ve been here all summer and it was fabulous. My presentation at the Integral Yoga Festival was so much fun and I had a great turn out for my ‘Clean Eating’ Gluten-Free Cooking Class. I love presenting, cooking and helping people learn about clean, pure food.
Early Saturday morning, I took walk to the Union Square farmers market for some fresh tomatoes, romaine, avocado and Brussels Sprouts.
I think I sampled about 200 tomatoes walking through the market.
And so worth it.
So, when I arrived at the beach on Saturday night and pondered what to make for an evening meal, I whipped up this tasty Brussels Sprout recipe and enjoyed every bite of it.
My tastes buds were happy, to say the least. I steamed the Brussels sprouts until they were nice n’ tender, like butter. Mmmmm. I tossed them with my ground cashews, balsamic vinegar and avocado mixture….then added my fresh market tomatoes, a bit of fresh herbs and a dash of sea salt n’ pepper.
Simple yet so many flavors hit your taste buds with each bite.
There’s something special about farmer’s market produce. They’re beaming and beautiful, aren’t they? So much prettier than supermarket produce.
They’re inspiring. Just walking around the market makes my brain soar n’ buzz with recipe ideas…
I’m already looking forward to being back in Manhattan during the weekend days after the summer … when it’s Fall.
Yes, that is the best time of the year here in Manhattan. Oooo I can’t wait.
It’s already starting to feel a bit like the Fall season with cool breezes and shorter days.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the summer and I’m a blonde haired beach gal but I do love the Fall … especially in Manhattan.
It just makes me so happy.
Kinda like the one I had when I finished these wraps.
‘Ta Die For.
They’re that good.
I kid you not.
Go ahead, bite in and enjoy.
Happy Monday, Foodies.
Brussels Sprout Romaine Wraps
Gluten-Free and Vegan
- 20 baby Brussels sprouts
- 10 cashews, finely ground
- 2 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, cored and mashed
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, washed and dried
- 1 large Roma tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1/4 cup fresh curly parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium sized pot over medium-low heat, steam Brussels sprouts for 15-20 minutes or until soft and tender. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine cashews, vinegar and avocado in a food processor; pulse until smooth.
- Lay out romaine leaves on serving platters, add cashew spread, Brussels sprouts, tomatoes,arugula, parsley, cilantro, sea salt and pepper. Wrap up like a burrito.
Today starts Day 1 of 4 for my mercury fillings removal followed by a Vitamin C drip…I’m a bit nervous but hoping it goes smoothly.
I’m so excited for my ‘Clean Eating’ Gluten-Free Back to School Class on Tuesday night with MomTrends here in Manhattan.