Adding chocolate to your chili? Yes, you read the title correctly. Did you know the polyphenols and flavonoids in chocolate can lower your risk of heart disease by 20% and keep LDL (Bad) cholesterol from oxidizing into an artery-damaging form?
Semisweet and dark chocolate have more beneficial compounds than other chocolates so toss in a healthy dose of antioxidants into your chili recipe.
Simply add a chunk of your favorite dark or semisweet chocolate (or 2/3 cups of chocolate chips) to your chili; continue to cook and stir frequently until chocolate is completely dissolved.
Here’s a tasty Heart Healthy Chili recipe of mine that is perfect for a cold January day like today.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 (15 oz.) can green chilies
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 (15 oz.) can Organic tomato sauce
- 2 large fresh Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 4 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp. dried cilantro
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional Toppings: plain Greek yogurt, nutritional yeast, ground flax seeds
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add oil; let warm for about 1 minute.
- Add green chilies, garlic, red bell peppers and onion; saute until onions are translucent.
- Stir in chili powder, chocolate chips, cilantro, allspice and cloves. Slowly add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce; simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add all beans; continue to cook for another 25 minutes.
- Transfer chili to bowls and serve warm; season with sea salt and pepper, to taste.
- Enjoy with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast and ground flax seeds.
Share your thoughts
MMMMMMMMM,….a lovely chili! I made recently also a chili with home made corn puree corn bread, it is onmy foodblog! It is my second latest post!
I used unsweetened cacao in my chili!
This sounds amazing! And it’d be healthier? It’s all too good to be true
Very interesting. I just read a recipe for chocolate in chili the other day. I’m always looking for new chili recipes so thanks for posting!!