There is nothing like homemade bread crumbs to improve the taste of your dish. Fresh homemade bread crumbs are so easy to make, too! This also saves money since commercial bread crumbs are expensive.
Since I like to make homemade bread, I always seem to have end pieces around that I target and save for making homemade bread crumbs.
How Do You Make Homemade Breadcrumbs?
- Any type of bread can be used…gluten free, rice, sourdough, whole wheat, etc. You can even combine various types of bread, which will give your dishes a fabulous taste.
- I usually wait until I have enough bread slices to fill my food processor before making the crumbs. Just store your odds and ends of bread in a large resealable plastic bag in the freezer until ready to make your homemade bread crumbs.
- If your bread is not dry enough to crumble in the food processor, place bread slices on an baking sheet. Spread each piece throughout the baking sheet without overlapping; allow a bit of room between pieces to dry properly. Bake in a 300 degree F. oven for approximately 10 to 15 minutes; about halfway through, turn them over so they dry evenly. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Tear dried bread into smaller pieces and place in your food processor; process until desired consistency, forming a coarse texture.
- If you don’t have a supply of homemade bread crumbs in your freezer, and you need a small amount for your recipe, use 1 or 2 slices of bread and dry in the oven. Place dry bread slices in a Ziploc bag, and use a rolling pin to roll over the top of the plastic bag until desired texture.
- Even Mark Bitten, who writes for Dining section of The New York Times, creates his very own bread crumbs and states, “No matter what bread you start with, they are going to be better than store-bought.” You can see Mark’s tip for creating his own bread crumbs in his recipe post on Broccoli Rabe.
And, for my Weekly Wrap-Up….
Here’s What’s In The News This Week
New Wellness Program at Save-A-Lot
And the best news of the day?
Happy Birthday to The Healthy Apple as tomorrow, January the 23rd marks my 1 year anniversary… the first day I began blogging…. so…
Happy Birthday to The Healthy Apple!
Enjoy your weekend.
Share your thoughts
Happy one year! I just checked our your Open Sky store and saw so many things I want now! 🙂
Thanks, Teri…I’m so glad to hear you are enjoying my Open Sky shop! I love all of my products and can’t wait to hear how you like them, as well…have a great weekend!
hey amie!!!! Long time no see.
I was curious to see if you have any ideas for recipes using pomegranate.
Also, I have been making homemade granola lately and I have made it for teh women at work b/c they are crazy in love with it. I have a few flavors in mind, but I was interested to see if you could come up with anything that’s kind of different that I haven’t thought of.
See you soon I hope
Of course, I have a ton of Pomegranate recipes; check out the POM Wonderful Community website at pomwonderful.com and click on their community/blogs as I have posted numerous Pomegranate recipes that are delicious on there….let me know if you need any more!
Good luck and enjoy! Have a great weekend.
Happy Birthday! I’ve only been following you for about a month, but I’ve loved all your posts! Here’s to many more!
Thanks so much Allyson; I appreciate your support and birthday wishes! Have a fabulous weekend!