There is nothing like homemade bread crumbs to improve the taste of your dish, Fresh homemade bread crumbs are so easy to make, too! This also saves money since commercial bread crumbs are expensive.
Since I like to make homemade bread, I always seem to have end pieces around that I target and save for making homemade bread crumbs.
- Any type of bread can be used…gluten free, rice, sourdough, whole wheat, etc. You can even combine various types of bread, which will give your dishes a fabulous taste.
- I usually wait until I have enough bread slices to fill my food processor before making the crumbs. Just store your odds and ends of bread in a large resealable plastic bag in the freezer until ready to make your homemade bread crumbs.
- If your bread is not dry enough to crumble in the food processor, place bread slices on an baking sheet. Spread each piece throughout the baking sheet without overlapping; allow a bit of room between pieces to dry properly. Bake in a 300 degree F. oven for approximately 10 to 15 minutes; about halfway through, turn them over so they dry evenly. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Tear dried bread into smaller pieces and place in your food processor; process until desired consistency, forming a coarse texture.
- If you don’t have a supply of homemade bread crumbs in your freezer, and you need a small amount for your recipe: Use 1 or 2 slices of bread and dry in the oven. Place dry bread slices in a Ziploc bag, and use a rolling pin to roll over the top of the plastic bag until desired texture.
- Even Mark Bitten, who writes for Dining section of The New York Times, creates his very own bread crumbs and states, “No matter what bread you start with, they are going to be better than store-bought.” You can see Mark’s tip for creating his own bread crumbs in his recipe post on Broccoli Rabe.
Take a look at my new blog post for Enjoy Life Foods
I’d love to hear your thoughts! Enjoy Life Foods offers a vast array of delicious ‘allergy-free’ foods.
And, for my Weekly Wrap-Up….Here’s What’s In The News This Week
Gluten-Free and Coconut Products Among the Most Popular at The Fancy Food Show
And the best news of the day?
Happy Birthday to The Healthy Apple as tomorrow, January the 23rd marks my 1 year anniversary … the first day I began blogging….so…
Happy Birthday to The Healthy Apple!
Enjoy your weekend.