Every week it seems I get emails from y’all about Easy Weeknight Dinners and Healthy Recipes for Dinner.
Well, today I’m going to answer your question with one simple answer.
This Crunchy Chickpea Red Quinoa is what I call a One Dish Wonder- it’s filled with protein-packed quinoa and chickpeas as well as a kick of chili powder and sweet white onions. It’s an easy recipe to whip up on a weeknight and serve as a main dish along with a side of veggies- or you can use this as a side dish.
I often serve leftovers chilled the next day atop a bed of steamed spinach with balsamic vinegar and it’s delish!
Any way that you pair it, this dish is sure to please your taste buds and get you excited for a home-cooked dinner. No more take out, no need to head to the food store for a million fancy ingredients…everything here is already in your pantry plus a bit of fresh basil which you can pick outside from your garden in the summer.
So easy, right?
And it’s sure to fit into your food bill for the week because it’s fairly inexpensive to put together. Just a few ingredients and 15-20 minutes and dinner is ready on the table.
Ready, set, go!
And, if you’re in NYC on July 1st Join Me For My NYC
Underground Supper Club Dinner Party Series – it’s all organic, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian! 7-9 PM Downtown Manhattan. To attend, please RSVP to: TheHealthyApple@gmail.com.
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 1 cup red quinoa or white
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion diced
- 1 cup cooked or 1 -15oz. can BPA-free organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- Cook quinoa according to package directions; remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat olive oil and cook onion until translucent,about 4 minutes. Add chickpeas, chili powder, sea salt and pepper; cook for 5 minutes then remove from heat. Add quinoa and fresh basil; mix well to combine.
- Serve warm.