Well, let’s just say I’m on another kick…and this time it’s with cauliflower. Yes, I had a fabulous date last night with a head of cauliflower…are you jealous? Yummy; this sweet, milky, almost nutty cruciferous vegetable is at its prime right now (from December thru March) when its in season and most plentiful at local farmers markets and food stores. Cauliflower tops the charts for vitamin C and is also a good source of vitamin K, folate and dietary fiber…perfect for this time of the year when you need to keep your immune system strong and healthy.
Last night, I created a fabulous gluten-free dinner for myself using a beautiful head of cauliflower that I recently purchased at Whole Foods Market. The combination of fresh cauliflower, avocado and basil added the perfect touch of sweetness with a sharp twist from the onion and crushed red pepper.
- 4 cups cauliflower florets, broken
- 1/2 ripe avocado, mashed
- 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 4 Fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp. soy flour
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Pinch of turmeric
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Greek yogurt
- Nutritional yeast
- Organic tomato sauce
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender; blend until consistency resembles a batter.
- Mold dough into cakes measuring about 5 inches wide.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat; spray with cooking spray.
- Cook for 3 minutes or until brown; flip and cook other side.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt, tomato sauce and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
In The News This Week…
Don’t forget about my 10% off Open Sky discount when you enter the code: REDESIGN
Good throughout all of January.