Yes, I know it’s May and the last thing you want to think about is how to cook brown rice but trust me on this one. It’s a goodie.
This ‘creamy’ homemade pizza sauce recipe is made from raw cashews, sweet red bell peppers and tomatoes. It reminds me of the pizza sauce I ate as a kid….far better than the Pizza Hut pizza sauce from back in the ’80’s.
I served this recipe with a few slices of gluten-free bread because, well it’s just fun to dunk bread into leftover tomato sauce, isn’t it? You can serve it with salad if you’re not a bread person…it’s just as good. I also want to note that this recipe is amazing if you have leftover veggies such as cauliflower, spinach or broccoli that you want to toss in! Just simply add them to the finished recipe and you’ll kick up your fiber a notch.
It’s an easy-peasy recipe that is hard to mess up so you can feel good about taking this on and mastering it for dinner tonight.
Go ahead- give it a shot and let me know what you think.
And if you’re in NYC on May 20th join me for my next Dinner Party- it’s all organic, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian!
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 2 cups wild or brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (12 oz.) BPA-free canned tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. golden raisins
- ½ tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. fresh lemon zest
- ¼ tsp. sesame seeds
- Cook rice according to package directions with sea salt.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, salt and pepper; cook until onions are translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add bell peppers and canned tomatoes and sun-dried tomatoes; mix well to combine. Cook for another 7-9 minutes then add in remaining ingredients except lemon zest and sesame seeds. Cook until tomatoes and peppers are soft and tender. Be sure to break up tomatoes as you stir the mixture. Remove from heat and transfer in batches to a food processor; blend until smooth then add to cooked (and drained) rice and serve warm.
- Garnish with lemon zest and sesame seeds.