Last night I purchased Mahi-Mahi at my local fish market and created a deliciously ‘blackened’ dish… yes, the smoke alarm surely went off and my tiny Manhattan apartment was surely smokin’, hehe, but it was worth it… succulent and spicy… just the way I like it.
I opted to create my ‘blackened’ rub by reaching for my magnetic spice rack and tossed together the delectable Marx Foods ghost chilis and spices… take a looksy at these unique and incredibly tasty spices to create your very own blackened dish.
This uniquely spiced fish pairs perfectly with naturally sweet asparagus. It's gluten and dairy-free.
- 1 cup spelt flakes
- 1 lb. fresh asparagus
- 2 fillets Mahi-Mahi
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 2 ghost chilis
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. ground thyme
- 1 tsp. ground oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp. truffle salt
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Cook spelt flakes according to package.
- Trim ends of asparagus and steam over medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until tender yet still crisp and bright green.
Meanwhile, grind ghost chilis in a coffee grinder until they form a fine consistency.
In a medium sized bowl, combine all spice rub ingredients; mix well.
- Coat mahi mahi fillets with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and rub spice mixture onto each fillet.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp. olive oil onto the sizzling hot skillet and place the mahi mahi fillets 2 inches apart on the skillet.
Cook both sides until fish is fully cooked to desired consistency.*
Transfer to serving dishes. Serve hot alongside asparagus and spelt; sprinkle with dried cherries. Enjoy.