They’re not the first veggie that comes to mind for 4th of July.
That’s for darn sure.
But, why not switch it up and toss out your soggy romaine salad for something with a little more ummmmpppphhhh to it. Let me show you how it’s done.
Let’s do it. Shall we?
So, why green beans?
Because they’re full of fiber and they’ll fill you up a lot more than some package of wilted lettuce. You should totally invite green beans into your life- you just may realize that you love ’em. They’re not gassy like their cousins (black beans, garbanzo beans, etc). They’re a lot easier to digest and they’re naturally sweeter, which makes them ideal for a summer salad.
There’s also a lot of naturally sweet flavor in this salad from the tri-color carrots I used (you can find these carrots at Whole Foods Market or any other health food store- they come in red, yellow, purple and orange and they’re beautiful to peel because the colors look like rainbows), a nice juicy apple, freshly squeezed orange juice- which is a powerhouse of flavor and sweetness and a touch of brightness from the fresh orange zest. Toss all of this together with coconut milk yogurt and you’ve got yourself one heck of a summer holiday dish.
So without further ado…
I bring you, my green bean goddess-level salad with coconut yogurt dressing.
Get ready to impress your guests.
This salad will be more impressive than the fireworks this year, folks.
If you make this recipe, come show me and post a picture to your social media account and tag me so I can take a look! I love seeing your creations on facebook, pinterest, instagram, twitter and google plus.
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why I eat organic: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 2 lbs. fresh green beans, ends trimmed if needed
- 2 large carrots (tri-color carrots are beautiful to use)
- 1 large Honeycrisp apple, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup plain coconut milk yogurt
- Juice of 1 large orange
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. fresh orange zest
- 1 tsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Stem the beans in a medium pot with a steamer basket for 5 minutes over high heat. Remove from the heat and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, shave the carrots lengthwise with a veggie peeler and add them to a large bowl. Add the steamed green beans, apple and celery.
- In a small bowl, combine the yogurt with the orange juice, sea salt and pepper. Season to taste and drizzle over the salad mixture. Garnish with the orange zest and parsley and serve immediately.