When I first moved to Manhattan many years ago I dreaded cleaning my apartment because it meant I had to use chemical-filled products that gave me a headache and stunk up the air forever. This was WAY before I was even sick- NO symptoms at all. I used Lysol, Windex and Bleach and all the others to clean my bathroom, kitchen and living areas. Yuck. Skip ahead 10 years and boom: NO More Toxins! I have compiled a list of my favorite non-toxic household cleaners so that you can feel good about cleaning without getting anyone sick- or triggering allergies and headaches. And they work like a charm!
It’s important to avoid toxic chemicals because they can lead to illness and disease in our bodies. Believe me, before I was sick, I didn’t care AT ALL about any of this. I’d laugh at how people paid so much money for these ‘Green Cleaning’ items, I’d head to the dollar store to save money and purchase a cheap bottle of chemicals that lasted forever. Well, those days are LONG gone! I want to help you by pointing out easy and safe natural cleaning tips and products to keep you and your family safe from toxic chemicals! Check out my Cleaning Essentials for a list of my favorite non-toxic cleaning products, too!
In addition to providing you with safe and natural cleaning tips, here are a few things to toss from your home that are toxic:
- Scented Candles. Beeswax and soy candles release hydrocarbons into the air when burned.
- Art Supplies. Water-based markers contain toxic alcohols and dry erase markets are toxic and contain xylene, which is a neurotixin and colored pencils contain lead. Look for non-toxic supplies.
- Carpets. One of the biggest causes of air pollution in homes.
- Oven Cleaners. They are made from toxins and release a neurotoxin when sprayed. Use baking soda and water instead.
- Baby Wipes. Look for organic products made without bronopol, which is toxic to our skin.
- Upholstered Furniture. When made with polyurithane foam or chlorinated flame retardants, they are toxic. Use solid wood furniture instead.
- Pressure treated wood. It has preservatives in it such as alkaline copper quat and copper azole, that can be toxic.
- Yard Pesticides and Fertilizers. Use organic lawn and flower care products.
I love the Eco Touch Microfiber Towels; I use them for cleaning my bathroom and kitchen everyday with a mixture of warm water, fresh lemon, organic distilled white vinegar and Aura Cacia Organic Lavender Essential Oil. I use Dr. Bronner’s Liquid Soap with these cloths to clean and my home smells amazing and fresh. I also love using Seventh Generation products for cleaning my bathroom tub, toilet, sink and kitchen counter top. I use baking soda combined with white vinegar to clean my drains. Simply pour 1 cup of baking soda down the drain followed by 1 cup of vinegar and let sit overnight, then rinse with water the next morning. When I have tough stains on my counter top or oven, baking soda acts as an abrasive- which quickly gets out tough spots and grime! I also use baking soda in my bathroom and kitchen sinks; let it sit for 20 minutes and then scrub. It’s also great to deodorize your carpet; just lightly tap baking soda onto your carpets and then vacuum it up for a fresh clean without chemicals.
Amie’s Favorite ‘Green Home’ Non-Toxic Household Cleaners:
- Branch Basics Cleaning Soap
- 7th Generation Dish Liquid
- 7th Generation Cleaning Wipes
- 7th Generation All Purpose Cleaner
- 7th Generation Paper Towels
- Mrs. Meyer’s All Purpose Cleaner
- Mrs. Meyer’s Hand Soap
- BioBag Kitchen Bags
- Bragg’s Apple Cider Vinegar
- Dr. Bronner’s Citrus Orange Castile Soap
- Organic Distilled White Vinegar
- Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Baking Soda
- Aura Cacia Lavendar Essential Oil
- Earth Friendly Fruit & Vegetable Wash
It is essential to work with your Integrative M.D. because I am sharing general information that is not intended to be medical advice. It is also important to read the ingredients on each product and call the company if you have any questions about toxins since ingredients may change and formulas are updated for different brands. This information is only given for informational purposes only.