Never would I ever eat a fig until last year.
I thought they were gross looking.
Then I bit into one and almost had an explosion in my mouth.
SO much flavor.
That’s when my love affair with figs started.
Let me show you how to add these sweet little guys to a summertime salad that’s perfect for your upcoming picnics, lazy weekends or warm al fresco dinners.
Sometimes you just need a simple summer salad. No effort. Just toss a bunch of goodies in a bowl and get the party started.
You know what I mean.
Who’s got time to sweat in the kitchen?
So, this is all you need to do.
Chop up some fruits n’ veggies. Then, toss EVERYTHING in a bowl and eat it. That’s it.
Simple. Fresh. Easy. And full of antioxidants, fiber and protein.
That’s what I call a serious summer salad.
Fresh salad greens.
Freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Sea salt n’ peppppppaaaaaaaa.
And you’re good to go.
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why I eat organic: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into 1 inch florets
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 head Swiss chard, finely chopped leaves and stems, ends trimmed
- 1 large, ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 4 fresh figs, halved
- 2 Tbsp. creamy almond butter
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp. dried cherries
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with oil; rub the oil onto the cauliflower with your hands and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the salad, Swiss chard, avocado and figs. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the almond butter, lemon and garlic until well combined. Add more lemon juice if needed for a thinner consistency. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Add the roasted cauliflower to the salad mixture and drizzle with the dressing. Top with the sunflower seeds, dried cherries and lemon zest; toss to combine and serve immediately.