This savory bulgur is hearty enough for a side dish and pairs well with chicken, tofu or fish. The summertime is a great excuse to add a touch of anti-oxidant rich garden herbs such as fresh mint and basil…Each bite is sure to lend a surprise to your taste buds. You can easily enjoy this dish served chilled or warm.
- 1 1/2 cup Bulgar (cooked)
- 1 cup Onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup Minced Garlic
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Tsp. Cumin
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric
- 2 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup Spinach (cooked)
- 1 cup Shredded Yellow Squash
- 1 cup Shredded Parsnips
- Nu-Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Basil (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Mint (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Pine Nuts (toasted*)
- 2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
* Toast Pine Nuts in a dry skillet for 4 minutes until browned.
- Heat oil in a large skillet until hot. Add onion and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often until golden brown (15 minutes). Add garlic,bulgur, cumin and turmeric. Continue to stir for about 1 minute.
- Add vegetable broth, parsnips, spinach, yellow squash and salt. Bring to a boil and stir.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes; do not stir.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add fresh mint, basil and lemon juice.
- Top with toasted pine nuts.