Mother’s Day is fast approaching…
Well, you have six days to think about what you’re going to do for your special Momma.
And boy o’ boy do I have a plan for you.
Ya see, back in November I met one of my dearest friends, Carrie who writes the most amazing Deliciously Organic blog and we bonded- then we reconnected again in March here in NYC and even though we live on opposite coasts- live totally different lives and come from completely different parts of the country- we’re like, well- sisters.
At least, that’s how I think of her. Like a big sister.
‘Cause I don’t have one and she’s just pretty darn fabulous. We’ve both been through quite a bit in terms of our health and have similar stories of how we both searched for many years to find an answer to our unexplained medical problems- I think the two of us combined exhausted every doctor from California to New York. And now, through the journey of Eastern medicine- we’ve regained our health and our passion for darn good food.
So, since she’s a mother to two beautiful children we thought it would be fun to get together (virtually) to share with you our Mother’s Day Breakfast in Bed.
We’ve paired a sweet recipe and a savory one- like Carrie’s sweet breakfast waffles and my savory morning “pillows”- laid out a shopping list for you below and a play-by-play on Carrie’s blog for your special morning with tips on how to whip cream, cut an avocado and pour waffle batter into a waffle iron- so you can serve the perfect Mother’s Day breakfast in bed to your mother.
So, grab Dad and rally the kids because this is going to be a Mother’s Day to remember.
I for one am going to be celebrating the day with my amazing mother, Joann here in Manhattan- we have a picnic in Central Park every year and I am so excited to see her and spend the day with my family- just the four of us perched on a rock in the middle of Central Park enjoying some fresh grub from Whole Foods Market.
I wish I could serve my momma this breakfast in bed- but since her bed is quite far away…
These pillows are so cute- they’re like miniature cookies but instead they’re morning ‘pillows’ because who eats cookies for dessert? Not me.
And not my mom. But, pillows – yes – I’ll take a few bites of these fluffy “pillows” with breakfast.
I think I’ll whip up these waffles and “pillows”- wrap ’em in a pretty bag with a pink ribbon and serve them at our picnic.
Let’s just hope it doesn’t rain.
Because soggy waffles and cookies just wouldn’t look so nice.
Savory Flax Morning “Pillows”
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free
Makes 12 cookies
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large organic egg
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour mix
- ¾ cup gluten-free oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, very finely ground
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup organic salsa, for serving
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and mashed, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together margarine and sugar. Beat in egg.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a separate medium sized bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients; mix well to combine.
- Drop heaping tablespoon-sized balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cookies are golden brown. Remove from oven; set aside to cool for 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- Serve with a spread of salsa and mashed avocado. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.
Mother’s Day Shopping List
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup Plain Whole Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Salted Butter, softened
- 5 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1 Tbsp. Gluten-Free Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Gluten-Free Oats
- 1 cup Heavy Cream, whipped
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup Whole Milk
- 1 pint Fresh Strawberries, sliced
- 2 Tbsp. Ground Flax seeds
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Rosemary, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, finely ground
- 1 cup Organic Salsa
- 9 large Organic Eggs
- 1 ripe Avocado
Share your thoughts
What a unique recipe! Love the idea of the flavor combination! Yum!
Thank you Erica; hope you enjoy it. Have a lovely night!
These look super awesome. Need me some pillows 🙂
You’re fabulous. I wish we lived closer; I miss you so much. xoox Hope you are having a fabulous week, darling. Sending hugs to Cali!!!
Your lucky mother! I wouldn’t have thought to pair these with avocado and salsa but I love it.
Thanks Val! I hope she enjoys them; have a great night.
These look SO yummy (and easy)! Will have to try them out. Nice and healthy too 🙂
Thank you Krista; enjoy darling!!!
Amie these look wonderful I will try them for Mother’s Day have a wonderful day!
Thanks Beverly; hope you enjoy them. Love hearing from you!
these look great, Amy! I may just have to whip these up for my mom on mommy’s day!
Thank you so much Susan! Have a great day!