Thanks to two of my fabulous uncles, I had the delightful experience of freezing tomatoes this past summer and enjoying them for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. My uncles have a beautiful garden full of every vegetable imaginable…it’s my dream to have a garden like them someday.
Freezing tomatoes is a wonderful idea if you have multiple tomatoes on hand that are on the verge of spoiling…you can easily freeze the tomatoes to use them later rather than let them spoil. By freezing these fruits, you can enjoy the delicious fresh garden taste of tomatoes months later.
Step 1: Clean and De-Stem Tomatoes
- To prepare tomatoes for freezing, rinse under cool running water and clean well.
- Remove stems.
Step 2: Prepare for Freezing
Remove the skin of each tomato and blanch the tomatoes before freezing to ensure they will have a delicious taste when you are ready to eat them.
- Fill a stock pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Add a few tomatoes at a time to boiling water. Boil tomatoes for approximately 1 minute; once skins begin to loosen, remove from boiling water and place in a bowl filled with water and ice (also known as blanching).
- Once the skin is loose, it should be quite easy to remove, however, use a knife to ensure even peeling.
- Cut each tomato in half and remove the seeds.
- Place tomato halves in a colander to drain off excess water.
Step 3: Freezing Tomatoes
- Transfer tomatoes to a large Ziploc bag and seal.
- Place into the freezer until ready to eat.
Step 4: Defrosting Tomatoes
- When ready to eat the tomatoes, remove the Ziploc bags from the freezer and place into a large bowl on the counter top to thaw.
- I ran warm water over the sealed Ziploc bag to start the thawing process and let the tomatoes sit for at least 12 hours or until no longer frozen,
Step 5: Enjoy
- Enjoy your tomatoes by using them in soups, salads, casseroles, stews, hummus, dips and smoothies.
Share your thoughts
I enjoy what you guys tend to be up too. This kind of clever work and reporting! Keep up the good works guys I’ve added you guys to my own blogroll.
Intresting. I have never freeze vegetables.. thanks for the instructions 🙂