Working out everyday and not loosing weight?
Turning down that glass of wine at dinner?
Not eating dessert?
And still not loosing weight?
I’ve been there. I was 100 lbs. in my 20’s- then one day I woke up and in a matter of a few weeks I was about 30 lbs heavier. I hadn’t changed anything- I was eating right, working out, sleeping, etc. I went an entire year of felling like crap until I realized it was my hormones! I was estrogen dominant and my PCOS (Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome) was causing me to be insulin resistant. Not fun! I can’t tell you how many women come to me with this issue- they’re trying to diet and count calories and it aint’ working. Wanna know why?
It’s hormones. Therefore you could eat 1 calorie a day and still gain weight. Yes, it’s true.
Eating less and working out more does NOT work. Not at all. This formula fails for so many women, including myself!
Can you not seem to budge the excess weight you’re carrying around? Well, when your lovely hormones aren’t working together, you won’t feel or look your best. And I’m living proof.
Here’s a few ways your hormones are disrupting your ideal bod pod:
- ESTROGEN MAKES YOUR FAT TOXIC. Lovely, right? It’s true. Your hormones regulate your blood sugar and your blood sugar swings up n’ down all day long as a result of you eating too much or not enough carbohydrates. YES eating not enough carbs can cause HUGE problems in your hormones! Forget that low-carb crap you hear. You need GOOD carbs like gluten-free whole grains not processed cakes n’ cookies. So, what happens is your blood sugar tells your body to store the excess glucose as fat cells and to make more of them so you’re filled with fat cells. Sexy, right? This makes you gain weight AND makes it pretty much impossible to loose this excess weight. How do you beat this system? Eat healthy carbs and keep your blood sugar steady throughout the entire day. Healthy carbs such as gluten-free whole grains, healthy fats such as coconut oil, olive oil, avocado, nuts/seeds and protein such as organic poultry, beans, nuts/seeds, whole grains, seafood, grass-fed meat at every meal is what will keep your hormones in check.
- CORTISOL RUNS THE SHOW. When your hormones are out of whack due to stress (from work, family, viruses, etc) excessive exercise, slow liver function, blood sugar spikes and falls, and not getting enough sleep all lead to Adrenal Fatigue or Adrenal Exhaustion. These adrenal glands are what supplies the hormone that removes those awful stored fat cells. When your little adrenal glands have been overworked from the stressors listed above, cortisol keeps your body from converting these fat cells into energy for your muscles (so loosing weight is ain’t happening here).
So, what can you do?
- Eat more veggies such as broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and cabbage. These veggies in particular will pull the excess/toxic estrogen’s out of your body. Essentially, they’re your detox veggies because they help detox your body from toxins.
- Eat good sources of healthy fats. So many people avoid fats and their hormones/thyroid all of a sudden slow down! You NEED fat, people. Eat good fats such as the ones listed above at every single meal. YES you heard me. EVERY meal. Fat does NOT make you fat! Sugar makes you fat. Which leads me to my next point.
- Steer clear of sugar. Don’t touch it. It’ll wreak havoc on your entire system. Check out my Sugar-Free HOW TO for more info to get you started.
- Get to bed by 10 PM and sleep past 9AM. To heal your adrenals, you need to be sleeping between 10PM-12AM and then again from 7AM-9AM. Get your beauty sleep!
- Get your cortisol and hormones tested via a saliva test. NOT a blood test. You need the saliva test to tell you what your hormones are doing –don’t rely on a blood test and ditch the doctor who’s treating you based on your blood work levels.
- Stop killing yourself at the freaking gym. Just STOP. Quit the gym and go for a walk outside. Take a light yoga class. Meditate. Your adrenals and hormones need rest. You can work out for 4 hours a day and you won’t loose a pound- trust me…those hormones will have control over you and if you keep doing too much strenuous cardio- you’ll be making this situation so much worse!
- Eat a little cinnamon. Cinnamon helps control your blood sugar so add a pinch to your tea or add a few cinnamon sticks into your rice or quinoa when you’re cooking it on the stove top.
- Smile. Be happy. Be grateful.
- Check out my page on How to Balance Your Hormones for more info.
And now I’ve got a hormone-friendly recipe for you below.
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 1 cup wild rice
Basil Garlic Sauce:
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
- 1 small scallion
- 1/3 cup halved grape tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. dried cherries or other dried fruit such as raisins, cranberries, figs
- 2 small scallions thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds toasted
Cook rice according to package directions.
Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine garlic, basil, cilantro, 1 scallion, tomatoes, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper; process until very smooth.
Portion cooked rice into serving bowls; top with garlic sauce, dried cherries, sliced scallions, sesame seeds and sea salt and pepper, to taste. Serve warm.