Last week I was feeling like I needed a nice detoxifying salad.
I had just gotten back from a nice walk in Central Park and I was in the mood for something light, yet filling and delicious. I wasn’t quite sure where it was going as I chopped up some veggies from my fridge.
I chopped up some fennel, onions, cashews a bit of thyme and marjoram along with some cashews and mixed ’em all together with flax oil and balsamic vinegar.
As much as I love the smell of baking scones in my oven, there’s just something simple about fennel and arugula that makes me feel happy.
Well, one thing let to another and before I knew it, I had used two heads of fennel and their pretty delicate fronds.
The sweet licorice scent of the fennel got me so excited and I couldn’t stop chopping.
I really hope your local market carries fresh fennel because I feel like I’m adding it to everything lately.
I’m loving their sweet bite and crisp texture and I just love the kick fennel adds with the balsamic.
It’s surely a healthy detox salad and who doesn’t want to munch on something that makes them feel good?
I certainly know I’m happy chomping on anything that makes me feel good.
Am I right?
Well we’re all in the mood for a lil’ bit of a Detox this time of year, so why not start right in your kitchen with your some light and refreshing salad recipes?
So, if you’re a fennel fan…
And you like arugula too….
Why not toss in some fresh thyme?
O ya, and a lil’ marjoram, too.
This salad is a perfect side dish for any meal or can be served as an appetizer.
My favorite way to enjoy it?
After my meal.
Well it’s nice n’ sweet.
And it’s my ideal way of getting some more greens into my day along with some natural sweetness and healthy fats.
I’ve got that all covered.
Trust me on this one.
She’s a winner.
Fennel Salad with Thyme Vinaigrette
- 2 bulbs of fennel with fronds, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups arugula
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Barlean’s flax oil
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup cashews, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. fresh orange zest
- In a large bowl, combine fennel, fronts, onion, marjoram and arugula; gently toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine thyme, oil, fresh orange juice, balsamic vinegar and sea salt; whisk well. Add cashews and toss to coat.
- Transfer salad onto serving plates. Sprinkle with orange zest. Serve with thyme vinaigrette on the side.
I am honored to announce that I have been asked to become a special contributor and contributing recipe developer for The Daily Meal.