I know you want to cry because summer is almost over. But, please don’t.
I promise fall will be just as lovely.
Summer in Manhattan is fabulous. Quite fabulous and I’m sad to see the summer go but I love the change of seasons and I couldn’t live without it. I’m excited for fall but not ready to take off my flip flops just yet. So, to keep you in the summer spirit for a few more weeks, I present my End of Summer Rainbow Swiss Chard Salad with Hemp Seeds. It’s quick and easy to make and super duper tasty. Let’s chat about what’s inside this dish, shall we?
Come on in.
This salad is great for a last minute dinner because all you need to do is toss together a head of chopped rainbow Swiss chard with broccoli, red cabbage, cucumbers tomatoes and a few other odds n’ ends like hemp seeds. If you don’t have Swiss chard on hand, you can use dinosaur (flat) kale but it won’t taste as sweet as chard. Also, regular chard works here but again…not as tasty or flavorful as the rainbow chard. The broccoli gives this salad a nice oomph because let’s face it…sometimes salads are blah if they are just full of salad greens. Know what I mean?
Feel free to toss in anything else you have in your fridge. No hemp seeds? Use almonds or sunflower seeds. No cabbage? Toss in baby spinach instead. Get creative and have fun. It’s the end of the summer so it’s time to clean out your fridge and make a meal out of it. So, why not get the family involved and serve everything chopped up on a large platter like the one shown below? Toss it together with my tahini dressing (in the recipe below) and you’ve got yourself a mighty fine meal.
If you make this recipe, come show me and post a picture to your social media account and tag me so I can take a look! I love seeing your creations on facebook, pinterest, instagram, twitter and google plus.
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why I eat organic: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 1 large head broccoli cut into 1 inch florets
- 1 head Rainbow Swiss chard finely chopped leaves and stems, ends trimmed
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup purple cabbage chopped
- 1 large cucumber diced
- 1 honey crisp apple diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil finely chopped
- 1 tsp. hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup tahini well-stirred
- 1 tsp. pure maple syrup or honey
- Juice of 1 large orange
- Pinch cumin ground
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Steam the broccoli in a steamer basket in a medium pot over medium heat on the stove top for 5-7 minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled off broccoli, Rainbow Swiss chard, arugula, cabbage, cucumber, apple, tomatoes, basil and hemp seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine the tahini, maple syrup, orange juice, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper; whisk to combine and drizzle over the salad. Gently toss to combine and serve immediately.