Last weekend, I ventured to the Upper West Side here in Manhattan and stumbled upon an adorable bakery making fresh rice pudding…After seeing the cute little pudding cups I simply couldn’t resist…I sped through Central Park and stopped itno my favorite gourmet market to purchase buckwheat, cashews, coconut milk and almond milk for a fabulous spin on the classic ‘Rice Pudding’…
Let’s just say, this recipe ain’t no ordinary puddin’…it’s dairy free and gluten free and can be enjoyed for a breakfast porridge, an afternoon snack or an evening dessert without the guilt. So, next time you’re yearnin for that Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, reach into your fridge for a scoop of my refreshing and chilled Buckwheat Cashew Puddin’…
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup buckwheat
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup cashews
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine allmond milk; bring to a boil.
- Slowly add buckwheat; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in agave, spices, pepper and sea salt; mix well. Continue to simmer until buckwheat is cooked.
- Transfer to a covered bowl and place into the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- Serve with a sprinkle of ground cashews.
This delicious recipe was featured in SmartBrief!
Check out my gluten-free, dairy-free Buckwheat Cashew Puddin’
Share your thoughts
Sounds like an interesting twist. Nice recipe!
Wow, that sounds rich and amazing. I love rice pudding, and I’ve never had a non-dairy version. Do you think rice milk would work in place of the almond? I can’t do almonds…
Thanks for your comment, Lisa…so glad to hear you like my new puddin’ creation….Yes, rice milk would work wonders as I have tested this recipe with rice milk and hemp milk, as well…and it tastes amazing and incredibly rich (yet very lean and healthy) with each version…I hope you enjoy it…let me know your thoughts…Thanks again and have a fabulous day. Best, Amie
Oh wow – this sounds soooo good. YUM