Last weekend, I ventured to the Upper West Side here in Manhattan and stumbled upon an adorable bakery making fresh rice pudding…After seeing the cute little pudding cups I simply couldn’t resist…I sped through Central Park and stopped itno my favorite gourmet market to purchase buckwheat, cashews, coconut milk and almond milk for a fabulous spin on the classic ‘Rice Pudding’…
Let’s just say, this recipe ain’t no ordinary puddin’…it’s dairy free and gluten free and can be enjoyed for a breakfast porridge, an afternoon snack or an evening dessert without the guilt. So, next time you’re yearnin for that Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, reach into your fridge for a scoop of my refreshing and chilled Buckwheat Cashew Puddin’…
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup buckwheat
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup cashews
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine allmond milk; bring to a boil.
- Slowly add buckwheat; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Stir in agave, spices, pepper and sea salt; mix well. Continue to simmer until buckwheat is cooked.
- Transfer to a covered bowl and place into the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
- Serve with a sprinkle of ground cashews.
This delicious recipe was featured in SmartBrief!
Check out my gluten-free, dairy-free Buckwheat Cashew Puddin’