Another simple, yet elegant dish.
Just a few Clean ingredients with a lotta flavor packed into a tasty vegetarian salad.
Ya see, I’ve been baking so many holiday cookies that I needed a bit of a break from my stove and decided to create a lighter dish.
Especially after working with all those grapefruit sugar cookies last week.
My mother turned me onto arugula as she always uses it to add some pizazz to her salads. It always looks so pretty, so dainty, so crisp.
After spending time with her this past summer and over the Thanksgiving holiday, she’s hooked me onto this little rocket salad…or so they call it in Italy.
I always wondered why every menu in Italy has rocket salad…
They must really love their arugula over there, huh?
Well, I’m starting to really enjoy it…
It’s got a nice kick to it.
A bit spicy.
Enough to dance on your tongue.
So, here’s a pretty vegetarian recipe that’s perfect for an appetizer before you dive into your main dish.
Light n’ fresh.
That’s what this dish is all about.
It’s my fun lil’ rocket salad.
Avocado Arugula Salad with Basil Lemon Dressing
Gluten-Free and Vegan
- 1 large fennel bulb, slice stalks and bulbs into thin strips
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- Juice from 1 organic lemon
- 2 Tbsp. Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. ground chia seeds
- 1/4 cup cashews, ground
- Prepare a large ice bath.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add fennel and cook for 3 minutes. Drain fennel; immediately plunge into ice bath. Set aside for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer fennel to a large serving bowl; pat dry. Add avocado and carrot.
- Drizzle salad with lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, basil, sea salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat.
- Transfer to serving dishes. Top with ground chia seeds and cashews. Serve at room temperature.
Share your thoughts
I often buy arugula and then don’t know what to do with it. Love this!
Thanks Kristi; hope you enjoy this salad. Have a wonderful Sunday afternoon!
This looks AMAZING! I love, love, love avocados! Thanks so much for sharing. It’s always great to see these light and fresh recipes around the holidays 🙂
Thanks so much, Jamie; hope all is well. Have a fabulous holiday season and hope to see you soon! xox Miss you!
Glad you stopped by my blog so I founds yours! 🙂
Thanks Rebecca; great to hear from you!
Mmm, I’ve been craving argula lately for some WEIRD reason! I almost bought some this am at the grocery store and now I’m wishing I had, this is a fab salad! You describe arugula so well 🙂 xo
Thanks Maggie; hope you are having a great weekend. xo Love ya!
Nice way to eat avocados! We are featuring your post on our Facebook page today: California Avocados Direct. Thank you!
Thanks Mimi; you are so kind. Thank you for featuring me; I greatly appreciate it. Have a wonderful weekend!