Another simple, yet elegant dish.
Just a few Clean ingredients with a lotta flavor packed into a tasty vegetarian salad.
Especially after working with all those grapefruit sugar cookies last week.
My mother turned me onto arugula as she always uses it to add some pizazz to her salads. It always looks so pretty, so dainty, so crisp.
After spending time with her this past summer and over the Thanksgiving holiday, she’s hooked me onto this little rocket salad…or so they call it in Italy.
I always wondered why every menu in Italy has rocket salad…
They must really love their arugula over there, huh?
Well, I’m starting to really enjoy it…
It’s got a nice kick to it.
A bit spicy.
Enough to dance on your tongue.
So, here’s a pretty vegetarian recipe that’s perfect for an appetizer before you dive into your main dish.
Light n’ fresh.
That’s what this dish is all about.
It’s my fun lil’ rocket salad.
Gluten-Free and Vegan
- 1 large fennel bulb, slice stalks and bulbs into thin strips
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- Juice from 1 organic lemon
- 2 Tbsp. Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- 4 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- Pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. ground chia seeds
- 1/4 cup cashews, ground
- Prepare a large ice bath.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add fennel and cook for 3 minutes. Drain fennel; immediately plunge into ice bath. Set aside for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer fennel to a large serving bowl; pat dry. Add avocado and carrot.
- Drizzle salad with lemon juice, lemon zest, oil, basil, sea salt and pepper. Gently toss to coat.
- Transfer to serving dishes. Top with ground chia seeds and cashews. Serve at room temperature.