This home detox cleanse article is sponsored by our friends at Naturepedic. All opinions are my own.
My Home Detox Cleanse is an easy way to recognize toxins in your home environment, especially in your bedroom, that you’re in contact with on a daily basis. What you probably don’t realize is that these toxins are silently affecting your health on many levels. There are over 80,000 synthetic chemicals (think carcinogens, allergens and endocrine disruptors) soaring through the market these days and we’re all being exposed to them through our home from our makeup to our mattress and our deodorant to our pillows. They’re everywhere. The bedroom is an important place to start given how much time you spend sleeping so that is the main focus of this article. The worst part about this is that brands are not alerting their consumers as to what’s lurking inside their products.
Have no fear, I’ve put together a few tips for you on how to do a home detox cleanse and I’ve also created a printable Detox Your Home Handbook PDF that you can use to detox your own bedroom.
The Home Detox Cleanse
Let me start by saying I went all out on pictures for this post, folks. There’s a lot of pictures here but there’s a good reason why! I wanted you to see every Naturepedic product as well as the detail in each product. So, here we go. Get your seat belt for your very own home detox cleanse. This is going to be fun.
Naturepedic sent me their organic mattress two years ago when I moved into my new apartment and I cannot even begin to tell you what it’s like to sleep on their “cloud” as I call it. So, why the heck would you care about an organic mattress and why would you ever want to detox your home?
Well, first of all, as many of you have read in my book, Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation, and Reset Your Body, a detox is a lifestyle change- it’s not a quick fix. You cannot detox your body in one day or detox your entire life overnight. It’s not possible. But, what is possible is to do a little bit of work every week or month or season that moves you towards your ideal healthy lifestyle without chemicals that negatively affect your health.
My Story of Toxicity & Chronic Health Issues
Let me start by telling you WHY I’m here telling you about all of this. To be completely honest, if you told me I needed to detox my home 10 years ago I would have laughed in your face and said, “Lady, I ain’t got time for that.” I didn’t get it. No one educated me on the amount of toxins that we’re bombarded by on a daily basis and I didn’t understand or believe that a chemical in my mattress, sheets, pillows, cleaning products, food, makeup, shampoo, tap water, etc. could be causing my thyroid problems, PMS, headaches, fatigue, toxic liver, heavy metals and mold toxicity. No way! I wouldn’t have believed you. Not even if you showed me evidence. Why? Well, when we’re brought up learning and knowing something one way, it’s not easy for us to change our thinking or to believe something that sounds so foreign to what’s in our comfort zone. Especially when it challenges what we believe is true.
Well, to say I fell out of my comfort zone is an understatement.
I pretty much fell off a cliff or maybe even the Grand Canyon numerous times in the last decade with my health and it was those experiences that forced me to see that, YES, there is a connection between these chemicals in our lifestyle and our health. When I started making changes in my food, my personal care products, my home products and more, I started to see huge shifts in my health and in my blood work- especially with my liver, which was toxic for well over 10 years (even though I didn’t have one alcoholic drink and ate organic daily). Wild, right?
Wild, yes, but true.
And to be perfectly honest, I would still NOT believe any of this if I hadn’t gone through hell and back with my health to understand toxicity and what it’s doing to our health on a daily basis.
But, here I am today a totally different woman than I was a decade ago. Healed and vibrant and soaring through life because I detoxed my life and my home and got rid of the chemicals that were interfering with my body and making me sick. I understand that none of you have gone through a journey that’s exactly similar to mine but I do know that many of you are suffering from unexplained health issues and you haven’t thought about taking a peek at what’s in your environment and how those chemicals are seeping into your skin and into your bloodstream affecting your health on a daily basis. That diagnosis that you have doesn’t come out of nowhere. It’s from decades of toxic accumulation, something Western medicine does not address. Over time, the build up of these chemicals and toxins and flame retardants that we’re exposed to in our home are what cause health issues and toxicity, whether that be arthritis, eczema, acne or more serious conditions.
Rethinking Your Home
I want to break down an easy Step by Step plan for you so that you, too, can start your home detox cleanse in your bedroom. I don’t want you to feel overwhelmed and think you have to do everything at once. Remember, this is all about baby steps. Slowly start to replace these conventional/synthetic items in your home and before you know it, you’ll have detoxed your entire home and you’ll be living in a non-toxic, healthy environment. Let’s get started!
Natural Detox Home
As you can see from the images of this article, I’ve taken numerous photos of Naturepedic’s certified organic products such as their amazingly fluffy pillows, their organic mattress, their organic sheet sets and their organic waterproof mattress protective pad. I use each of these in my bedroom and I love them all. They’re super cozy and soft and totally different from the conventional (synthetic) alternatives on the market.
Again, we’re not talking about how to detox your body in one day or how to detox your entire home in one day. That’s not possible. Baby steps and small changes is the way to go here, folks.
Here are a few tips that will get you started on your home detox cleanse.
- Use beeswax candles. It may be surprising to you that the toxins in the wick of a candle and in the wax are super unhealthy when we breathe them in. I just switched all my candles over to pure beeswax last year and my mother bought me a few as as Easter gift last spring. Yes, I am still slowly detoxing my home as I mentioned, you’ll go crazy if you try to do everything at once.
- Use detoxifying plants. These are incredible. I love using these plants in my home, especially my bedroom, to help remove toxins from the air. You can choose from any of the following: peace lily, snake plant, weeping fig, gerbera daisy, English ivy and aloe vera plants. There are other plants that are helpful for detoxing your home but these are the most common and the ones I love the most.
- Use essential oils and fresh lemons to clean. You can easily toss your conventional cleaning products and use fresh lemons and white vinegar along with a few drops of essential oils to clean your entire home.
- Use an air filter to purify the air in your bedroom. There are many brands of air filters out there so be sure to do your research! It’s key to know that the air inside your home is dirtier than the air outside. Mind blowing….I know. But, sadly it’s true. Email me if you need suggestions! I’ve used one for years that I love.
- Get a shower filter. Your skin is your biggest organ so when you’re showering, you want to avoid the toxins in the tap water that’s cleaning you. Check out my Detox Your Home article for the shower filter I love to use.
- Get a sink filter. Many of you have bathrooms adjoining your bedroom and it’s key to detox your tap water in your bathrooms and kitchen. You’ll need a filter on your sinks for your drinking, washing and cooking water. More than 700 chemicals are in drinking water. Filtering your water is much healthier than bottled water, also. Check out my Detox Your Home article for the shower filter I love to use.
- Remove your shoes. Removing your shoes when you walk into the home avoids the possibility that pesticides, lead and dirt get tracked into your home and bedroom. Go barefoot or wear slippers or socks around your home instead.
- Naturepedic Organic Pillows (see the one image above and one below). These pillows are PURE heaven. Last year for Christmas, my parents gifted me the Naturepedic Organic Cotton Pillows and I love them but NOW these Naturepedic Trio Organic Pillows are like an upgrade and they make me want to stay in bed forever. OMG they are heavenly. Truly heavenly. Can you not tell from these photos? There are so many layers of comfort in here and I can’t even begin to describe what it feels like when you lay your head down at the end of the day. Pure heaven. So good. You must check these out. When it comes to your bedding, I highly recommend starting with detoxing your pillows in your bedroom since that’s where your head rests for half of your day and the skin on your face is much more sensitive than your other body parts.
- Naturepedic Organic Mattresses (see the above and below images for my Double size mattress under the covers and then also with my comforter on top). Now, I never would have thought I’d have an organic mattress because…well, why would I want one? Well, as soon as I discovered how many chemicals and toxins are in mattresses and how they off-gas their chemicals, I started my research on organic bedding and Naturepedic reached out to me 2 years ago to have me try their mattress (perfect timing as I was just moving into my new apartment) and I couldn’t turn down the offer because I was hoping for an organic mattress in the near future. So, the mattress fairy came and I wasn’t honestly expecting anything different. A fluffy mattress is a fluffy mattress, right? No. Not at all. The difference was dramatic. I sleep like a baby and I feel so comfy when I sleep. The bonus is that there aren’t any toxins hanging out in my mattress while I doze off. A total win-win situation! And my healing recovery has been super smooth since this process I believe because I lessened the body burden of toxins that my body comes into contact with on a daily basis. So, your liver can work more efficiently and detox your body naturally.
- Naturepedic Organic Sheet Sets (scroll up to see the sheet sets in a cute box with a handle on the top). These sheets are so soft and I love using them. They’re ideal for gifts for bridal showers and are wonderful gifts for the holidays, as well. I mean, who wouldn’t want to sleep on these organic comfy sheets?
- Naturepedic Organic Waterproof Mattress Pads (scroll up to see the mattress pad in a cute box with a handle on the top). This pad is ideal for protecting your mattress and it fits like a glove. The image below is without the pad. I wanted to take a natural picture of just the mattress with my sheets still on it so you could see what it looks like when I pull up the sheets and then again when I put my top blanket and sheets over the mattress. Now, you have an idea of how I sleep like a baby!
For more detailed information on my Home Detox Cleanse, download the GUIDE below.
Detox Your Home Handbook
As I mentioned above, I created more tips and detailed information on your home detox cleanse so that you can take the next steps to keep you and your family safe. Download the GUIDE below to learn more about how to detox your bedroom step by step. Let me know if you have any questions. I’m always here for you.
*By downloading the Detox Your Home and Bedroom PDF, you agree to receive email newsletters and announcements from our partner Naturepedic.
Naturepedic Bedroom Detox GuideA collaboration with Naturepedic to guide you through your non-toxic bedroom and home.
p.s. There’s also a lot more information on your total home detox cleanse is in my book, Eating Clean, where there’s a huge chapter dedicated to detoxing your home environment for your health.
Enjoy and sweet dreams!