As we approach the warmer weather and summer (yippppeee)! Today’s I’m excited to bring you one of my favorite new carrot recipes and talk about my love affair with roasted vegetables). But before we dive into the food, I wanted to chat a little bit about becoming more grounded and how to let go of stress and worry that so many of us are carrying around. Many of my clients are healing from chronic illness, health issues, crazy corporate jobs and much more….I learned how to ground myself and look for what truly makes me happy inside by overcoming my chronic illnesses, healing myself with yoga and mediation and entering a world of Clean Eating as well as walking away from a toxic corporate job to follow my heart and be a successful author and nutritionist.
It recently dawned on me that I emotionally, physically and spiritually had to teach myself to let go of the person I thought I should be in order to be the person that I am today–and who I wanted to be. Yes, letting go of feelings, things, jobs, etc can seem scary but it leads to so much growth and teaches you more and more about who you really are — and what you really want.
Helping all of you and my clients let go of stress and worries makes a huge difference in your well-being. I strive each day for unconditional happiness that comes from inside of me (self-love, self-care) instead of what so many people strive for externally-outside of them (fancy home, cars, clothes, etc.)to make them feel complete. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love nice things but the difference here is that when you purchase your nice home, car, clothes, vacation, etc. ask yourself if it’s coming from lack or love….
When I was in my 20’s, working at Vogue and Ralph Lauren, my happiness came from external things. I tried to use and buy things to make me happy out of the lack of love that I had in my life. Since I got sick, at the ripe age of 25, I’ve seen this shift in my life and now I focus on love internally, I feel like a new person. And if I do want to treat myself to something nice, it doesn’t come from lack….it comes from love….what kind of love, you ask? Loving myself: a little thing called self-love.
I want to share with you a small note from one of my clients because I know so many of you are struggling with this…you feel ‘all over the map’ and that it’s time for you to get your life back at your own schedule- not the schedule or pace of everyone around you, or what the media (TV, ads, society) is saying you should do, look like, wear, drive, etc.
Here’s what she said in one of her follow up emails:
“Amie, I am slowly trying to implement some of your ideas. This is going to take time. I am currently working on just trying to get into some semblance of a schedule. (I’ve been all over the map.) I decided it is time for me to take control back over my life and figure out ways to be able to have a life and manage my health and food issues. I realize that I have to extend myself enough grace to know that some days I may get very little accomplished but at least this will be something for me to shoot for…..”.
This email touched my heart and I wanted to share it with all of you because illness, life, anything can be overwhelming and feel like we need to take back control of our lives after being bombarded by doctors, toxic food, people, etc. The best part about the above email is that she mentioned and learned that she has to extend herself enough grace to know that some days she won’t get everything or anything done. Ya know, I had the same revelation this past summer/fall when I relapsed and was in bed in chronic pain every.single.gosh.darn.day. There were days when I didn’t get out of bed. There were days when all I did was lay in my bathtub for relief. There were days I couldn’t write or turn on my computer or go food shopping. At first, these things all upset me. I was a 31 year old woman in Manhattan who should be able to work long hours, workout, have energy for friends and cooking and going out. But I didn’t. I didn’t have energy for any of that. And then I realized….it’s okay. That’s when I started looking inside of ME for what makes ME happy and what I want. Trust me, when you spend 6 months in bed- you’ve got a lotta time to think!
I promised you that I’d tell you how I let go and found unlimited happiness. So, here you go….
YOU can Let Go and Find Unlimited Happiness, too with these few tips below.
- Let GO of thinking the grass is greener on the other side and that everyone else is happier than you, more successful than you, better looking than you, etc. You have your own journey that is unfolding perfectly the way it should be.
- Let GO of being that Go-To person for everyone in your life every day. It’s exhausting and you should be using this energy for yourself.
- Let GO of regrets. Trust that what happened is exactly what you needed.
- Let GO of feeling guilty or embarrassed for what you really want.
- Let GO of any thoughts you have that leave you feeling anything but strong and empowered.
- Let GO of blaming others. Be accountable for your life. If you aren’t happy, make changes. It’s up to you.
- Let GO of worrying. It’s not doing you any good. Think of worrying as praying for something you don’t want.
- Let GO of blowing yourself off because you matter. Take time for self-love and self-care. A warm bath, massage or nap is perfect.
- Let GO of not listening to your heart. Follow your dreams.
- Let GO of thinking there is right and wrong way for everything. Do things your way.
- Let GO of worrying about money. Plan your future and how you will take care of any debt to focus on abundance.
- Let GO of trying to fit in and make everyone like you. YOU are unique and that’s what makes you fabulous.
- Let GO of hating your body. You are not the number on the scale. You are what you eat! Strive for being healthy- not thin.
- Let GO of the need to feel like you have to do more to get ahead. Sit back and let things come to you.
- Let GO of thinking you’re not where you should be in life. You are right where you need to be. Trust that.
- Let GO of trying to change people. Use that energy to focus on yourself and your personal growth.
- Let GO of trying to save people. They’re on their own path.
And now, onto my beautiful Roasted Rainbow Carrots.
You’re gunna love ’em.
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 12 large tri-colored carrots
- juice of 1 orange
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil melted
- pinch ground ginger
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Lay carrots on a rimmed baking sheet; drizzle with orange juice and coconut oil then season with ginger, sea salt and pepper. Toss to coat and roast for 15 minutes or until tender.
Remove from oven; serve warm.