Last night I got into my Fall cookin’ and bakin’ ritual on Sunday evenings…I just love the cozy feeling of being cooped up in my apartment, cooking up a hearty meal that fills each room with beautiful and delicious harvest aromas…after visiting the farmer’s market yesterday, I decided to make use of my fresh heirloom tomatoes and prunes, which I purchased at the Union Square Farmer’s Market downtown…The weather was beautiful this weekend here in Manhattan and I my little legs are exhausted from walking around all day… soaking up the sun and taking in all the fresh produce glistening on every street corner…I simply couldn’t resist.
Yes, I spend a good portion of my paycheck on food…and yes, it’s worth it because the taste n’ flavor of fresh, local and organic produce from the local farmers is hard to beat…the best part? Well, that’s surely when I sit down to my meal and savor each bite of my scrumptious masterpiece…my evening meal… my time to relax in front of my nonexistant television, hehe … my time to think about my life, my day, my future … my next cooking adventure…
This tasty Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan and Vegetarian Baked ‘Salad’ is incredible and perfect for a crisp Fall evening. I paired this dish with a bowl of white bean soup with toasted almonds to round out a perfect dinner for ‘One’…
And then to laugh, and giggle and smile, because an entire weekend went by with the only form of being ‘hit on’ or compliments were from the farmers at the produce stands, hehe… yes, it seems to have been this way for years, but that’s okay… Mr. Fabulous will come along soon enough … Hey, perhaps he’ll be next to me at the market next weekend, hehe…
Prune, Tomato and Artichoke Baked ‘Salad’
- Ten1-inch-thick slices of gluten-free bread, cut into large chunks
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 large Heirloom tomatoes, cut into coarse chunks
- 1 (15 oz.) can artichokes, drained
- 8 large prunes
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. black sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- In a roasting pan, toss bread chunks with 1 tablespoon olive oil and garlic. Roast for 8-10 minutes, until bread is golden brown. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss the tomato chunks, artichokes and prunes with the parsley, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, sesame seeds, balsamic vinegar, sea salt and pepper. Add the tomato mixture to the toasted bread in the roasting pan. Return to the oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.