Surprisingly after a warm Memorial day weekend, it’s a chilly Tuesday here in Manhattan, which makes me want soup to warm up! Here is one of my favorite soup recipes–it combines chickpeas and kale, which are two of my favorite foods. I discovered this tasty dish when I was experimenting this winter with a can of chickpeas and leftover kale from the farmer’s market. I added my own touches to come up with this comforting recipe, because nothing warms me up like a nice cup of this hearty soup, which delivers a nice dose of protein and antioxidants.
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- Dash of cumin
- Dash of paprika
- Dash of chili powder
- Dash of Nu-Salt and pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 12 oz. can peeled whole tomatoes
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large bunch kale (remove thick center ribs)
- Saute onion and carrot over medium heat until onion begins to brown. Add garlic and spices; cook for 1 more minute.
- Add chickpeas and mix well to coat them with spices. Pour in canned tomatoes, bay leaves, lemon juice and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 25 minutes
- Add chopped kale and mix well. Cook for another 25 minutes.
What are your favorite recipes to warm up on a cold day?