This sponsored feature was written in collaboration with our friends at Naturepedic.
Most people don’t realize how their mattress and sheets could be affecting their health. I cannot stress enough about how important it is to create a non-toxic, healthy bedroom to allow your body to naturally detox (detoxification with your liver and other detox organs, restoring your energy, increasing your cognitive abilities, boosting your immune system and so much more). It’s taken me years to detox my bedroom so take your time. Remember, health and wellness is a journey, not a race. Think of this bedroom detox as a shift in your lifestyle to support your health and the health of your family.
Click the PLAY button below to listen.
You Have to Be Your Own Advocate
Let’s talk about what’s lurking in your mattress and sheets (all of which we can’t see with our human eyes, but which negatively affect our health and lead to unwanted symptoms). The day you find out what you’ve been sleeping on your entire life is the day you start to realize that you have to be an advocate for your own health and lifestyle. No one else is going to give you the accurate information you need to know when it comes to your mattress, your sheets and many other aspects of your lifestyle. It’s sad but it’s true.
I learned this in my early 20’s and I was in shock. Wasn’t anyone protecting us? How could anyone allow companies to use so many harmful chemicals and toxins? How did this happen? How do most people not realize this? Aren’t companies that produce these products supposed to be protecting us?
That blew my mind.
Sadly, I learned about all of this through my own research and my dear friends who are mothers to children with chronic health issues. They knew that the toxins and chemicals in our food, our tap water, our mattress, our personal care products and so much more were, in fact, affecting our health.
That’s when I discovered Naturepedic and fell in love with their products because they were the only company I knew I could trust and rely on. I spoke with their team on the phone over a dozen times (and asked them dozens of questions—because that’s how I roll before I purchase anything), I visited their showrooms, I researched them for years and then finally went ahead and enjoyed
Chemicals in Conventional Mattresses
Here is a list of chemicals that Naturepedic does not use in their products. Many of these chemicals are found in conventional mattresses and are known to accumulate in the body for many years and are linked to thyroid dysfunction, liver toxicity, and other health issues.
- Formaldehyde is often used in mattress adhesives and has been linked to asthma, allergies and different types of cancers.
- Polyurethane foam, which is a petroleum-based material that releases VOCs linked to numerous health issues.
- Boric Acid is used as a pesticide and it’s a developmental toxin and reproductive toxin, which is terrible for children in their developmental and reproductive phase and for adults with our hormones, as well.
- Deabromodiphenyl Oxide is a possible carcinogen and is linked to causing memory loss and hair loss!
- Flame Retardants (found in mattresses and bedding) are SVOC’s, which are semi-volatile organic compounds. They’re odorless so you wouldn’t be able to see or smell them. They leak from the mattress throughout the entire life of the bed and they contaminate dust in your bedroom. Interestingly enough, your body must detox these chemicals during the night when your immune system is supposed to be in its repairing and resting state. Naturepedic does not use flame retardants; read more about this information here.
- Antimony is a heavy metal that’s also a possible carcinogen and causes lung and heart issues.
Reading this makes you realize how much is going on behind the scenes that we’re unconscious to…all the microscopic chemicals and toxins that we cannot see that are affecting all of us on a cellular level. It’s scary and also sad that we’re not educated about any of this. My hope is that this information helps you realize what you may not have been previously aware of. If I can help you detoxify your bedroom and lessen your body burden from toxins, you don’t need to wait until a health issue manifests to start doing these things, I’m a very happy camper.
Organic Mattresses & Sheets
Lastly, let me talk to you for a minute about their mattress and sheets because I receive so many questions from my readers asking about my favorite sheets and mattress brand that I trust and what I love about them.
I am so in love with these sheets. They’re