Happy (almost) Valentine’s Day.
Well, we’ve got another week or so but I thought it’d be fun to give you a little inspiration for your love day. Plus, my pal Lisa and I thought it would be fun to showcase our chocolatey desserts this Valentine’s Day without the gluten but with lots of cocoa flavor.
I mean, who can really resist a homemade Orange Cocoa Bread with Hazelnut Frosting?
I didn’t think you could.
No worries, it’s a healthy one. And even though I’m a total chocoholic, I have a spot in my heart strictly reserved for baking breads.
So I thought, why not combine the two and make a fabulous chocolate bread?
O and I did just that.
This bread is the quick version of my Grandma Isabel’s classic German Chocolate Cake.
Growing up, my absolute favorite dessert of all time was Isabel’s amazing cake. She always made it for special occasions and I couldn’t get enough of the rich frosting combined with the sweet coconut flakes.
So I thought, why not try to create a gluten-free version but a in a bread form and this time with a bit of pizazz from orange zest and ground cashews.
It’s great to make for a crowd and looks like it takes a lotta time and effort when it really doesn’t at all.
But, that’s our little secret.
One of the reasons I loved my Grandma’s cake (aside from the amazing taste) was because it was just so pretty. Perfect for a Valentine or just a dinner party with family and friends.
Either way, you’re a winner.
Now, if you really wanna get fancy (like I did), you can make your own frosting.
It’s not that hard and like everything else, tastes better than anything you can get in a jar.
In each bit you get the sweet cacao flavor, the crunchy coconut and the creamy cashews.
Plus, it’ll take you no time to whip this baby up.
Just a little mixin’ and a toss in the oven and you’re all set.
Your Valentine will be a very, very happy person.
But I’m warning you, they may ask you to make it for them again next week.
It’s just that good.
Orange Coconut Cocoa Bread with Hazelnut Frosting
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free
Orange Cocoa Bread
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp. xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed (store-bought will not achieve the right flavor)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup raw cacao nibs
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest
- 3/4 cup ground cashews
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift all the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, combine all liquid ingredients. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients; mix well until combined. Add cacao nibs, coconut flakes, orange zest and ground cashews. Mix well.
- Transfer mixture to a loaf pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove bread from oven, set aside to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm with warm Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting (below).
Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting
Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 cup hazelnuts, roasted
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a small saucepan; warm over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, mixing well until warm.
- Serve warm with a spoon to drizzle atop cocoa bread slices.
Check out my latest Shape Magazine article, “Mindful Eating”