I often think about the things I love and my list goes a lil’ something like this:
- Springtime in Manhattan
- New ballet flats from J.Crew
- The Sailboats breezing by the Hudson River outside of my Manhattan apartment
- Swinging on a swing set in Central Park
- Roasted Veggies
But, ya know what I’m just not loving? The fact that I can’t seem to find a simple roasted vegetable dish at any restaurant or gourmet market that isn’t loaded with oil or butter.
I mean, seriously. Even the salad bar at Whole Foods Market has a drenched roasted vegetable medley that is shining with enough oil to shine all the yellow cabs in Manhattan.
I mean, while olive oil is surely a heart healthy fat- we don’t need a cup of it in our veggies- thank you very much.
Sometimes you just wanna bowl of veggies without having to worry if you’ll be able to fit into your little black dress on Friday night.
Am I right on this one?
Anyway, I only used a lil’ bit of oil in this recipe. 3 Tablespoons is all you’ll need and believe me – you won’t miss the rest.
Apple cider vinegar and fresh oregano.
What flavor these two create! They made my apartment smell amazing. I honestly don’t know if I’d ever used fresh oregano before making this dish but I highly recommend finding some and tossing it into this roast.
The best part is that these veggies won’t be soggy or soft tomorrow- they’ll still be nice n’ pretty and can be used for the week in your salads, omelets and whole grains.
Nothin’ like cooking once and eating twice.
Coriander Cider Roasted Vegetables
Gluten-Free and Vegan
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 cloves elephant garlic
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 1/6 tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp. fresh orange zest
- 2 Tbsp. ground pistachios
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano, finely chopped for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients except fresh oregano in a large mixing bowl; gently toss to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a large roasting pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from oven; set aside to cool for 2 minutes before serving. Top with fresh oregano.
Share your thoughts
Hey Amie! I made this recipe and it was awesome!! Just wanted to let you know. I’ll pass your blog on to my gluten-free friends.
Awe; you are so great. I MISS YOU!!! I haven’t seen you in over 10 years! Please do let me know when you are in NYC or NJ and let’s get together. You just made my day; miss you and think of you often. Miss playing at your house- all those amazing memories in the woods building forts and playing soccer.
Thank you again; have a fabulous day.
Love. What type of pan do you use though? I only have baking sheets.
I use a baking dish- you can find an inexpensive one at Home Goods or Target. I use a ceramic one from Williams Sonoma!
I totally agree! Roasted veggies in restaurants are really roasted oil. Yuk. I like to taste my veggies! I never order them, which is a shame because I LOVE my own roasted veggies!!!
Great to hear from you Emily! I know exactly how you feel–I’m the same way…love the oil-less veggies. Have a great day!