It’s no secret that I love creating healthy gluten-free dessert recipes for all of you.
And I know you’ve all been requesting vegan desserts that you can enjoy without the guilt …
So, I decided to listen to you and make a special dessert (or mid-afternoon snack) that’s gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free and grain-free.
Wowzers. This recipe is free of a lot of ingredients.
But it’s not flavor-free!
It’s amazing and you’re gunna love it.
The best part?
It’s super inexpensive and you only need oranges, sugar, water and dark chocolate.
Pretty easy, right?
I thought so.
Go ahead, enjoy yourself.
Take the afternoon off and treat yourself to a little fruit n’ chocolate.
Summer’s over and it’s time to pick pumpkins, drink apple cider and nibble on these fun Chocolate Covered Orange Peels.
p.s. They’re the perfect gift to bring to a Halloween party or a dinner party.
Everyone will love them! Just tell them I sent you!
- 4 large organic oranges
- 2 cups Imperial Sugar
- 4 cups purified water, separated
- ½ cup dairy-free dark chocolate
- Peel oranges by using a small, sharp knife. Slice 5⅓ inch deep slices from end to end through each orange. Using your fingers, pull the skin of each orange, leaving the white membrane portion with the orange flesh.
- Slice each orange peel into 3 strips lengthwise.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a simmer. Add the orange peel, simmer for 2 minutes and remove. Drain and repeat.
- Discard water and rinse peels under cold water.
- In the same large saucepan, combine sugar and remaining 2 cups of water to a simmer. Whisk frequently to create a clear sugar syrup. Add orange peels and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until the peels are tender and translucent.
- Remove the peels from the syrup and lay on a baking sheet to cool. Set aside for a few hours or until dry.
- Place one peel at a time in a bowl of sugar to coat and set aside to dry.
- Meanwhile, melt dark chocolate in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Once dry, dip each orange peel into melted dark chocolate; coat only the tip. Set aside to cool in the fridge on parchment paper for 20 minutes.
- Keep chilled in fridge until ready to serve.
And you can find this recipe also on the Imperial Sugar website!