Black rice n’ berries?
And I also tossed in a few fresh asparagus for ya.
Thought you might like a lil’ crunch in there.
Here’s another one of my berry salad recipes I created for Whole Foods Market at my berry party.
But this time it’s a rice salad.
Let’s just say this dish was a huge hit.
I created this recipe again for my parents last weekend at our beach house.
It was the perfect side dish for our outdoor BBQ.
My mother is obsessed.
And my father- well- let’s just say he’s still experimenting with the black rice kinda thing. I think he- like all men are simply used to plain ol’ white rice. But, cheers to him for trying this one out! I’ve got him eating grains he’s never ever heard of and lordy, lordy my parents can barely even pronounce them but they’re eating ’em up.
So, I’m guessing these grain-rich dishes are pretty darn good.
Black rice is a bit different than it’s cousins white n’ brown- it’s got more of a ‘bite’ to it. A bit chewier and heartier.
Am I right?
It’s not as soggy or soft as white n’ brown rice but let me tell you it packs a whole lotta flavor and it looks pretty too.
The next time I have a dinner party or BBQ- it’s gunna be all about black rice. I’m thinking black rice burgers and black rice lettuce wraps with avocado sauce.
I better go out n’ buy more black rice.
But for now, here’s a simple recipe that’s perfectly delish and can be paired as a lovely side dish for dinner – then scoop up some leftovers (if there are any left) and add it to your morning omelet or lunchtime salad tomorrow.
So thrifty, aren’t I?
- 1½ cups uncooked black rice
- 1 pint organic raspberries
- 1 bunch of fresh asparagus, ends removed
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon zest
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. shredded coconut
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Cook black rice according to package.
- Rinse raspberries; set aside. Cut asparagus into ½ inch pieces. In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, asparagus, lemon zest, scallions, coconut, sea salt and pepper; gently toss to combine. Place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Remove from fridge; fold in fresh raspberries; gently toss to combine. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Serve chilled.