Just in time for Memorial Day, these juicy agave burgers are a sure crowd pleaser. If you’re not a fan of ground turkey, feel free to substitute ground bison, chicken, tofu or beans for a unique twist on the classic American burger. This recipe creates an incredibly tender burger from the agave nectar, which adds the perfect hint of sweetness pairs with fresh basil. I always add vegetables to my burger to bulk up the patty and increase the fiber content, so toss in spinach as I did, or try chopped kale, collards or Swiss Chard, which taste amazing mixed into the burger, as well.
These burgers are incredibly beautiful to the eye as they’re finished off with a leaf of Rainbow Swiss Chard, tomatoes, daikon radish, avocado and my homemade ketchup. Heaven? Yes, I thought so…
Happy Memorial Day.
- 1 lbs. lean ground turkey
- 5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- Pinch of chili powder
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Gluten-Free buns
- Toppings: Rainbow Swiss chard, sliced tomatoes, shaved daikon radish, avocado
- Condiments of choice: Mustard, hummus, salsa, guacamole
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Using hands, mix well to incorporate all ingredients.
- Mold turkey mixture into patties depending on your desired thickness.
- Place on a hot grill; cook until turkey is completely cooked on both sides.
- Remove from grill; transfer to a gluten-free bun topped with a leaf of rainbow Swiss Chard, tomato slices, daikon radish, a slice of avocado and a squirt of my homemade ketchup.
- Round out the meal with a side of my crunchy apple and parsnip fries.
In The News This Week…
Many Restaurants Addidng Gluten-Free Options to Menu
Meatless Mondays, A Movement That Has Legs
Fermented Soy Product Enters U.S.
Nestle Launches Pod Concept for Tea
Target Eyes More Groceries, Smaller Locations
No Evidence Organic Foods Benefit Health: Study