Top 10 Foods to Avoid if You Have Mold Sensitivity

If you’ve ever had toxic mold exposure, your body may be overly sensitive to a handful of different materials in the environment that can trigger symptoms similar to those of an allergic reaction. To avoid this from happening, make sure you take safe and proper steps to keep your environment clean from mold.

Let’s start with food. There are a few types of food and liquids that you should try to stay away from if your body is mold sensitive.

The following foods and liquids can be at risk for mold:

  • Alcohol
  • Wheat
  • Rye
  • Peanuts (sometimes contains aflatoxiniii, a human carcinogen)
  • Cottonseed and oil
  • Corn– sometimes tainted with a handful of fungal toxins
  • Barley
  • Sorghum
  • Sugar
  • Hard cheeses

These are 10 foods to watch out for, however you should also be aware of how foods are manufactured, as there are sometimes fungal ingredients that are not displayed on the label. Soy sauce, for example, is fermented by a fungus– though you wouldn’t know this from reading the back of the bottle. If you are extremely mold sensitive, adding soy sauce to your stir-frys or sushi could cause your immune system to overreact, creating symptoms of illness or an allergic reaction.

Keep eating clean, organic fruits and veggies, organic lean proteins, and lots of fresh, filtered water. You’ll recover faster and you’ll be less susceptible to more mold exposure. Try your best to eat at home for a while– you have total control over what goes into your body when you play chef.

Juicing can also be helpful when recovering from mold exposure. Because of the acids in juice, your body will alkalize, making mold exposure less likely. Juices are also great because they are digested very quickly, making for a speedy remedy to your mold illness.  Remember to drink you juice as soon as you make it!


Your GI tract is your body’s number one defense against illness, so make sure to keep it happy and healthy with the good flora-critical for proper immune response. Probably the most important supplement for recovering from mold-induced illness is a good probiotic. Taking probiotics will keep your GI tract full with the right bacteria- this will help to stop the bad bacteria from entering your system.

If you don’t have enough good bacteria, your GI tract will be susceptible to toxins and other unwanted microbes. As a result, these toxins can enter your bloodstream, and ultimately your immune system will overreact, causing inflammation throughout the entire body. The organs in your body that help to detox can then become overwhelmed, causing your whole body to go into a funk.

“Serum sickness” occurs when these organs become too overloaded, and as a result you can experience severe flu-like symptoms. Some cases take years to recover from. However, this illness can be easily prevented if you remember keep an eye on your digestive tract.

There are a few foods that can also help you to recover:

Garlic: Garlic isn’t only good for just fighting off vampires. It makes your breath smell, but it’s a powerful antibacterial and detoxifier, adding a boost to your immune system. Eat your garlic raw and whole in order to get all of its beneficial effects. If that doesn’t sound appealing, you can throw some into a juicer and mix it with veggies. Just remember to swash around some mouth wash afterward.

Ginger: Add a little bit of ginger to your cooking and juices. It’s a wonderful digestive aid and it’s also beneficial for your respiratory system as it helps loosen congestion.

Cayenne: Cayenne is a catalyst for the other herbs.

Goldenseal: The primary ingredient in Goldenseal helps to fight bacteria and aid your immune system. Use this sparingly.

Final Recommendations

Your doctors and healthcare providers will also be of help to you as you recover from mold exposure. Don’t despair, there are handful of methods that should aid in your recovery. Try the natural remedies before jumping on strong prescriptions and anti-fungal drugs.

Here are some more helpful suggestions that I advise you try if you’re struggling from the effects of mold exposure:

  • Glutathione, known as a super antioxidant, can be helpful as it helps to improve the functioning of other antioxidants.
  • Don’t forget to get your Omega-3 fats. Plant and animal sources should fuel your body with a sufficient amount of these fats.
  • Artichoke leaf extract: The Journal of Agricultural Food Chemistry published a study in 2004 that revealed artichoke leaf extract to be harmful to a handful of fungi, including mold and yeast.
  • Vitamin D: Make sure you’re getting enough of this stuff– studies have shown that vitamin D may help stop mold allergies from developing.

It is essential to work with an Integrative M.D. because I am sharing general information that is not intended to be medical advice.

This information is only given for informational purposes.

Share on FacebookPin on PinterestEmail to someoneTweet about this on TwitterGoogle+