It was a glorious sunny weekend in Manhattan.
I spent all day on Saturday downtown at the Union Square Market where I loaded up on avocados, kale, collards and asparagus.
And all day Sunday with my family wandering around Central Park- passing the Great Lawn, Sheep’s Meadow, the reservoir and the lakes…climbing rocks and heading down trails- we were so deep inside the park that we couldn’t even hear a car or see any buildings…just pure trees, grass, fresh air, water and good ol’ Mother Nature.
It was a perfect weekend and a fabulous Mother’s Day spent with my amazing mother whom I miss already.
The sun was shining and it was in the 80′s…a bit hot in the sunshine but so nice and breezy. It was pure bliss- and a nice welcome to the summer weather that’s right around the corner.
I came home from a long day in the park and wanted to make a refreshing dish. I took one look at my food processor and the nice big bag of avocados on my counter and thought — chilled green soupy!
I swear it tastes better than it sounds.
It’s not like a green eggs n’ ham kinda thing.
So let’s make some soup, shall we?
This is my new favorite avocado soup recipe that was inspired by my cooking buddy Kirstin who made an incredible asparagus soup last week and totally gave me the yearning to whip this soupy doupy up. It’s nice n’ thick and creamy- full of yummy things like cashews, fresh herbs and green tea.
The super-ripe avocados makes it extra creamy and it’s best topped with a few diced chives and possibly another dollop of yogurt.
Trust me, the name ‘creamy’ rings true here as the dairy-free yogurt adds a smooth, rich touch.
Now don’t go thinkin’ this is some watery, chicken broth bland soup ’cause it’s not.
This is a belly chillin’-sun-shinin’-love-in-a-bowl-soup.
So go ahead whip out your food processor and be true to your inner avocado goddess. You know you’ve got one.
You can easily make it tonight with a quick trip to the market, guys and gals- I assure you- it’s a green winner.
- 3 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
- 2 cups plain dairy-free yogurt such as SoDelicious
- ⅓ cup cashews
- ⅓ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅓ cup vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup green tea, brewed and chilled
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground white pepper
- 2 chives, finely chopped
- In a food processor, combine avocado, yogurt almonds, cilantro, onion, balsamic vinegar, green tea, sea salt and pepper; pulse until smooth.
- Remove from blender; transfer to a bowl and cover. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Ladle soup into four bowls; serve chilled. Garnish with chives.