This weekend I created the most delicious summer-time chilling soup. I tossed together fresh cucumbers and watercress for a cooling feeling, but then decided to add a touch of the Fall by including sweet potatoes and onions…and to polish it off, there’s nothing like the natural sweetness of fresh beets. This soup is delicious as a main dish with gluten-free bread or used as an appetizer or side dish with any meal.
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 beets, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 lbs. watercress, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 cup Greek plain yogurt
- Sea salt and pepper
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened. Add the broth and water; bring to a boil. Add the sweet potato and beets, cover and simmer over low heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Add the watercress and cook for 3 minutes.
2. Transfer the soup to a food processor; puree. Then, transfer the mixture back to the saucepan. Add milk and Greek yogurt, cucumbers and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Ladle the soup into bowls. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.
Be sure to check out my Kid Friendly Recipe that was posted on the Easy Kids Recipes website today.
My ‘Fruit Not Fat’ Galaxy Granola video that launched today, as well.