Last night I created a masterpiece. I took a look in my pantry and fridge to see what ingredients I had to play with… a perfect combination of a ripe avocado, fresh zucchini from my corner vegetable stand, a small bag of carrots and an onion. I glanced over at my food processor and suddenly a light bulb went off in my head: Homemade Hummus! What a fabulous idea, I thought. Yum.
As you all know, I love my sweet and salty combination, therefore I decided to toss in a dash of agave nectar and chili powder for the perfect palate pleasing treat! I served myself this tasty appetizer aside my gluten free rice chips and sweet potato wedges.
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 Avocado, peeled, cored and mashed
- 1/4 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 can Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. Agave Nectar
- 1/4 cup Sweet onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Warm water
- 1/2 cup Carrots, shredded
- In a food processor, combine lemon juice, water and tahini; puree until smooth consistency.
- Slowly add mashed avocado, garbanzo beans, shredded carrots and zucchini; continue to puree.
- Add chopped onion, agave nectar and chili powder; puree until desired smooth consistency.
- Transfer into serving dishes.
- Enjoy with your favorite whole grain chips, pitas, crackers or raw vegetables.