So, I’ve been a hormonal mess (hormonal imbalance) since the age of 21. At the time, I was so clueless about my body and was like “What are hormones?” I didn’t have a clue what was going on or how to help my body from feeling whacky! Yep. DHEA, progesterone, estrogen, testosterone, etc. You name it- it’s been so imbalanced and crazy, which has led to hundreds of crazy symptoms including weight gain. So, now that my hormones are in tip top shape n’ fabulous, (and now that I’m pretty much a hormone expert from all the years I’ve been researching on how to heal my own hormones), I wanna share some info with you, ladies. Hormone imbalance is becoming so much more common because of the use of plastics, pesticides, growth hormones, antibiotics and herbicides found in our food supply that are disrupting hormones, causing thyroid issues and infertility. So, here’s a few symptoms below and a few ways you can balance those babies so you’re feeling fabulous, as you should be! Trust me, when your hormones are off, you’re not a happy camper and sometimes you don’t even realize it’s your hormones causing the symptoms since they can also be symptoms of other issues including stress, insomnia, etc.
Common Symptoms of Hormone Imbalance (This is just a short list, there are MANY more…)
- Missed periods
- Weight gain
- Cannot loose weight despite what you do/eat
- PMS symptoms (before your period such as cramps, mood swings, acne, etc.)
- Bloating, stomach issues such as constipation
- Food cravings
Pretty please, DO NOT get blood work done to test your hormones; that will NOT tell you the correct hormone levels. You must get a 24 hour saliva test to test all of your hormones and cortisol so that you can see the big picture of what’s going on inside your body.
So, if your hormones are imbalanced, here are a FEW (again there are TONS) ways to start getting those hormones back in shape:
- Eat LOTS of Cruciferous Veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, arugula, Brussels sprouts, etc. because they will detox the hormones outaaaa your bod pod!
- Get at least 8-10 hours of sleep every single night. NO excuses. This is huge for hormone repair!!
- Avoid Parabens in your personal care products such as your shampoos, conditioner, soaps, etc. Here are a few pages for non-toxic personal care products without parabens: Non Toxic Beauty Products, Non Toxic Cleaning Products, and MORE!
- Get rid of ALL the plastic in your home; yes even the BPA-free plastic. Don’t use it for anything. Use glass or stainless steel instead.
- Try meditation and yoga to calm your hormones and your entire body. Breathe from your belly and not your lungs, that will signal your parasympathetic nervous system to take over and will release a calm vibe throughout your entire body.