Well, this certainly is not a post I ever thought I’d write. Ever.
So, there’s a reason for today’s post. A few years ago when I was trying to detox my liver, I had read about coffee enemas and how they are used to pull toxins out of the liver for a rapid detox to support your body in removing Lyme and other toxins. I was intrigued but swore I’d never do it. Ever.
Then my Lyme got so bad that I was on my bathroom floor in so much pain that I couldn’t even function. I was going through what is known as a Herx reaction and “Die-off”, which is when you’re killing the ‘bad bugs’ aka Lyme or other toxins so rapidly that your liver can’t flush out the toxins fast enough. For me, I was dealing with crazy migraines, crying and exhaustion to the point that I couldn’t function. I needed relief. I was desperate. Desperate enough to put coffee in the other end? Well, sorry folks. Yes, that’s how bad it got. I had no other choice.
So, today I’m sharing with you a post about how to detox your liver in a way that I’ve seen profound benefits from. A treatment that has allowed me to remove toxins so that my body can do the hard work of healing instead of fighting off and trying to release the toxins itself. This, my friends is why a healthy detox can be so important for people in their healing journey- because you want to give your body as much energy as possible so it can do it’s job to heal you. Just like when you have a cut on your finger, your body knows how to heal that! But in the case of bigger, more complicated health issues, your body gets SO overwhelmed from just trying to kill off the bad bugs and your liver is overburdened, so today I’m sharing an easy way to support your liver. I do not recommend you do a coffee enema every day. Please talk to your Integrative/Functional MD about adding in this protocol before you start. When I was going through the Lyme, I had to do a coffee enema daily for 2 years just to survive and make it through my day. Yes, that’s how bad it was. AND that’s how amazing the relief was every day. But I stopped the enemas last year when I started to feel better. Why? Because they’re a lot of work and they also deplete your colon from nutrients that you need, which is why you should only do a coffee enema if it’s needed for detox. Now, I do a coffee enema on Saturday and/or Sunday to detox me from my week and keep my body humming along! I don’t crave them or need them like I did, which is amazing and magical all at the same time.
So, now that you’re armed with the WHY I did coffee enemas to keep me from jumping out a window with the amount of “Die-off” I had, I’ll share HOW to do it so you can try this at home, if desired.
You should have seen the look on my parents face when I told them this is why I was making coffee on their stove-top one morning when I was at their home. Ha. They’ve come around, to say the least. There were days when I was too sick to get out of bed and my mother would make the coffee for me because she was amazed at how I bounced up and into life as soon as I did it. She called it ‘The Exorcist’. It was wild to say the least…
Now, when clients come to me with toxic symptoms, this is the very first thing we do because the results are profound!
Is Your Liver Toxic?
If you read my book, Eating Clean, there is a test in the book that asks specific questions for you to answer to find out whether you are toxic or not. If you do not have my book, I highly suggest you purchase it to take this test. Here are a few symptoms of a toxic liver:
- Bad breath
- Weight loss or unable to gain weight
- Digestion Issues
- Brain Fog
- Chronic fatigue
- High cholesterol
- Frequent colds
- Coated tongue
- Slow metabolism
FYI- Constipation is VERY toxic for the body because your body needs to have at least 1-2 bowel movements each day to remove those toxins. If you are constipated, toxins are sitting in your colon and that’s not a pretty picture, folks! Check out my Constipation Program for more information if you are experiencing symptoms.
Your body can heal. Doing a coffee enema is releasing YEARS and DECADES of accumulated toxins in your body. Your body can heal, remember that!
We’re surrounded by So many toxins on a daily basis that it’s key to support your body in detoxing. As I mention in my book, Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation, and Reset Your Body, there are numerous ways to detox. Infrared saunas and Epsom salt baths are two ways but coffee enemas have had the most profound impact on me, so that’s what we’re focusing on today.
The benefits of a coffee enema will probably surprise you. Here are a few benefits:
- Detoxes your liver.
- Boosts energy.
- Eliminates parasites.
- Cleans out your colon.
- Improves digestion.
- Helps release “Die-off” symptoms.
- Helps your body function better so you can heal and recover from any health issues.
- Releases migraines/headaches.
- Reduces the amount of toxins in your body, which are the cause of hundreds of health issues.
- Increases your MAIN DETOXIFIER, aka: Glutathione.
Let’s just say that EVERY time I did a coffee enema when I was sick, I immediately felt relief ALL over my body, especially my crazy migraine that immediately dissipated. I felt ALIVE for the first time in over a decade because all my toxins were literally flushed out of me.
The MOST IMPORTANT THING ABOUT COFFEE ENEMAS IS THAT YOUR COFFEE MUST, MUST, MUST, MUST, MUST, MUST, MUST BE ORGANIC. REPEAT AFTER ME. DO NOT USE CONVENTIONAL COFFEE- IT IS SO TOXIC AND FILLED WITH A RIDICULOUS AMOUNT OF TOXINS AND PESTICIDES. PLEASE ONLY USE ORGANIC COFFEE AND FILTERED WATER. DO NOT USE TAP WATER BECAUSE THAT IS FULL OF TOXINS AND FLUORIDE, AS WELL- WHICH WILL NOT BE PRETTY IF YOU USE THEM!
The Coffee Enema
Here’s what you’ll need (click on the links below to see the exact brands that I use/trust):
- Organic Coffee (This is my favorite brand that I trust)
- Filtered Water (This is my favorite and only water filter that I trust)
- Glass or Ceramic Large Dedicated Pot-I dedicate one pot to coffee for my enemas so that food scum and yuckiness doesn’t get on the pot.
- Enema Bag
- Organic Coconut Oil
- Organic Coffee Filters (for traveling to use the coffee machine in your hotel room). See below for traveling tips.
Contrary to what you may have learned, taking herbal supplements will NOT quickly detox your body, however a coffee enema WILL! The coffee enema can be done with less coffee. If 2 Tbsp. is too strong for you (ex: if you feel shaky or jittery after you do it—similar to the feeling of drinking too much caffeine, then lower the amount of coffee you use).
Coffee enemas don’t just detox the liver but they detox the colon, as well. Here’s the drill. Please do this before 12:00PM so that the caffeine does not keep you awake when you are trying to sleep that evening.
- Cook 2 Tbsp. of organic coffee on the stove-top with 4 cups of filtered water.
- Strain coffee and discard the coffee grounds.
- Place cooked (and cooled) coffee into the enema bag.
- Add filtered water if needed.
- Go into the bathroom and lock the door.
- If you have low blood sugar, eat before you do the enema.
- Do this in the bathtub or on a thick towel on the floor near the toilet in case you leak.
- Light a candle and put on soft music (search Satnum Kaur on youtube) to relax your body so you can enjoy the process. Put some coconut oil on a tissue and spread it onto your butt hole, where you are inserting the enema.
- Insert the enema into the colon and retain it for 15-20 minutes. NOTE: You won’t be able to hold it for this long the first few times you do an enema because you’ll have SO much junk inside of you so get ready to hit the toilet after only a few minutes. You’ll gradually work up to 15-20 minutes.
- Release on the toilet and flush.
- Stay close to the toilet for the next 30 minutes or so just in case you need to release more from your colon.
- Drink lots of purified water mixed with sea salt (through your mouth) or bone broth to hydrate yourself throughout the day so you don’t get dehydrated.
Yep. I traveling and sometimes still do travel with my enema bag and organic coffee and filter. It’s easier than you think. I bring my enema bag in my suitcase. one time the TSA folks had to search my bag and they pulled it out and I almost died of laughter. Hysterical. O the joys of detoxing!
I hope this post was helpful. Let me know if you have any questions. Always happy to help any of you that I can.