Yippeeee for warm summer weather and fresh, raw summer recipes.
I don’t know about you but I am cravvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvving raw veggies right about now.
With the peak of summer right around the corner my clients are begging me for fresh and super refreshing recipes…and I’m sure you’re in the mood for them too, right?
I thought so.
Well, I’ve got just the recipe for you today.
And you’re gonna love every bite of these cute little boats.
These are the perfect snack or light lunch when you’re hot and not in the mood to cook or turn on your oven. They’re super simple to make and can be done in less than 10 minutes.
I know you’re eager to hear more.
I packed in fiber, protein, healthy fats and a whole bunch of nutrients and vitamins to this recipe. I also added in Brazil nuts, which are soaring with selenium, which is very important for thyroid health. I’ve had my mother eating Brazil nuts for the last few years to help with her selenium- instead of relying on supplements.
All you need to do is finely chopped a head of kale and massage it with a really good oil such as avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil until it’s so tender and soft (about 1-2 minutes) with your hands. Then you slice the zucchini in half and layer on the massaged kale, radicchio, diced apples, Brazil nuts, freshly squeezed orange juice, orange zest, sea salt and pepper. I also added a pinch or two of crushed red pepper flakes for a bit of heat that adds the perfect flavor to these boats.
It’s as easy as that.
Talk about refreshing- these will surely blow your mind.
Feel free to finely chop the Brazil nuts if they are too large for your zucchini halves.
p.s. You can snap a picture of this recipe when you make it and post it to your facebook and instagram accounts using the hashtag #TheHealthyApple so I can see all of your creations!
And if you haven’t had a chance to check out my new cookbook, you can dig in here: Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation and Reset Your Body!
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why I eat organic: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 2 large zucchini, sliced in half lengthwise
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 green apple, diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped radicchio or red cabbage
- 4 Brazil nuts, chopped
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 1 Tbsp. fresh orange zest
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lay each zucchini half on a flat surface. Set aside.
- Massage the kale leaves with the olive oil using your hands until the kale is very soft and tender, about 2 minutes.
- Place the kale, apple, radicchio and Brazil nuts on top of the zucchini slices. Drizzle with the orange juice, sprinkle with the orange zest, red pepper flakes, sea salt and pepper. Garnish with sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.