Okay this recipe is quite possibly the greatest recipe I’ve made so far this year.
Yes- the BEST.
I had my mother make this recipe and she L-O-V-E-D it.
That’s how I know my recipes are winners, when my family gobbles them up in less than 24 hours.
So, today- we’re going to chat about how to make these fun and beautiful Grain-Free Coconut Shortbread Crackers (they’re naturally sweet)! Are you ready for some fun on a Monday morning?
I thought so!
And if you haven’t had a chance to check out my new cookbook, Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation and Reset Your Body, you can order it and gobble up the over 200 anti-inflammatory recipes!
I love creating new recipes…it’s one of my favorite things to do.
And when I’m whipping up a baking recipe from my brain and it works- well, that’s just the BEST feeling ever.
I’m not the greatest baker- I’m more known for cooking but when you’ve got a few bags of coconut flour lying around in your pantry and you want to get creative, you toss it into a bowl and hope for the best with a few other ingredients.
Baking with coconut flour is NOT easy but this recipe is SUPER DUPER easy.
Coconut flour has given me so much trouble in the past because it’s tough to make it not taste awful- however, somehow this recipe is BEYOND delicious and I’m full-blown head over heals IN LOVE with these crackers.
You might call these ‘bars’ or ‘cookies’ but I’m calling them crackers because they’re not sweet. They’re the perfect mixture of savory-ness and sweet-ness.
Plus, the coconut flake topping is quite a show stopper.
And you can serve them with raspberry or strawberry jam on top for a party in your mouth.
I kid you not.
You’ll see what I mean when you try them.
These are a great option to toss into your bag for breakfast when you are on-the-go for work in the morning….or you can tote these along for snacks when you are headed to the airport for a long flight. I surely know these are coming with me on my next flight to LA. No question about that.
If you haven’t tried baking with coconut flour yet- let me introduce you with this recipe. It’s by far the best coconut flour recipe I’ve ever created and I’m so in love with the flavors that I could hardly wait to share this with you today.
Preheat your oven now. You’re going to blow your own mind with these crackers.
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why I eat organic: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnut flour
- 1 ½ cups coconut flour
- 3 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds
- 9 Tbsp. water
- 5 Tbsp. plus 3 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. raw cacao powder
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp. dried cherries
- 1 very ripe peach diced
- Large pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups water
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- 1-2 Tbsp. shredded coconut flakes
- Combine the flax and the water in small bowl. Let flax water mixture sit for at least 20 minutes on the counter then mix well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients (except the coconut flakes) using your hands; mix well and use hands to form into a ball, then transfer the dough to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Use your hands to press down and form a ½ inch crust. Sprinkle the entire surface with the coconut flakes; use 1-2 Tbsp. depending on how large the surface of your dough is on the sheet. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until golden brown and soft but not mushy, rotating the baking sheet half way through baking, or until the crackers are golden brown.
Remove from oven; set aside to cool for at least 20 minutes. Serve.