Sweet potatoes inside my lil’ gluten-free cookies? O yes.
They’re in there. Can you see them?
I didn’t think so.
But, you can surely taste them.
I’m loving this new recipe I created last night, which combines sweet potatoes n’ chocolate chips with gluten-free oats.
I added a pinch of cinnamon and anise, which is my new favorite combo as it gives the perfect hint of sweetness to these little gems.
One bite and you’ll surely taste the creamy sweet potato…not too strong yet not too subtle, it’s a great afternoon or evening nibble that I have been enjoying …
I’ve used some cookie crumbs atop my Greek yogurt to make a parfait, as well. You can also use them to make ice cream sandwhiches and place a dollop of ice cream between two cookies, then roll into ground nuts and take a bite. No matter how you enjoy these cookies, they’re sure to keep you smiling.
How would you indulge in these babies? I’d love to hear your thoughts.
Sweet Potato n’ Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 24 Cookies
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/6 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp. ground anise
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup gluten-free oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a fork, puncture holes into the sweet potatoes and place onto a baking sheet; bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven; cut into 1 inch cubes. Place sweet potatoes into a large mixing bowl; using an electric mixer, blend sweet potatoes to a mashed potato consistency. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugars; beat on low speed until well combined. Add egg and almond extract; continue to beat.
- In a separate bowl, combine gluten-free flour, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon and anise. Mix well; add in wet mixture. Slowly add oats, chocolate chips and pureed sweet potatoes; mix well to combine.
- Spoon out mixture onto the cookie sheet using a tablespoon. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven; set aside to cool.