Rise n’ shine for a fresh start to the week.
It’s Monday and I’m makin’ you a batch of gluten-free apple pistachio crisp.
Yes, you heard me right. A simple Autumn apple dish that can easily be served for breakfast, mid-day snack or dessert.
So, sit back and let me introduce you to my new favorite crisp recipe.
It’s hearty, flavorful an full of everything healthy…like apples, pistachios n’ oats. We’ve all tasted a fancy crisp or a cobbler at one point in our lives but I assure you – you ain’t tasted one like this before.
Unlike many crisp recipes, there’s an absence of sugary junk in this one. It’s a perfect way to use up your apples during their peak season and you can store it in your fridge for up to four fabulous days.
They don’t call me, ‘The Healthy Apple’ for nothin’. I make a mean, lean and seriously green scrip, people.
I’m always cookin’ and bakin’ with apples but I got the idea to bake up this special apple dessert from my buddy Kelly from Just a Taste who will be posting a scrumptious apple recipe on Wednesday- so be on the lookout for that one. (She’s got an amazing eye and palate for some pretty gosh darn incredible recipes) I’ll let you find out for yourself with her magical touch.
My crisp is naturally sweet, just the way my clients and I like it and deliciously stuffed with apples and pistachios- along with some fresh orange juice n’ zest and ground cinnamon.
Because what’s a sweet treat if fruit isn’t involved?
- 2 Tbsp. stevia
- 3 Tbsp. Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. orange zest
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 3 Honey Crisp apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- ¼ cup finely chopped pistachios
- ¼ cup gluten-free oats
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine stevia, 1 tablespoon melted butter, cinnamon and orange zest. Add apples; gently toss to combine. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, pistachios, oats, and remaining butter. Using your fingers, mix to form a crumb consistency. Sprinkle crumbs over apples. Drizzle with freshly squeezed orange juice. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbling. Uncover and bake for another 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven; set aside to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt.