This morning I woke up and was in the mood for my homemade good old fashioned buckwheat pancakes. And what better way to celebrate National Pancake Day today than to create a fabulous gluten-free, dairy-free pancake breakfast? These unique pancakes are packed with flax seeds, avocado and a deliciously healthy grain, buckwheat.
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 3 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. stevia
- 1 1/3 cup rice milk
- 1 egg (or egg substitute)
- 4 Tbsp. ripe avocado, mashed
- 2 Tbsp. flax seeds
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Topping: Agave Nectar and fresh fruit
- In a large bowl, sift together buckwheat flour, baking powder, salt and stevia. Create a well in the center and pour in rice milk, egg and mashed avocado; mix until smooth.
- Add cinnamon and flax seed; mix well.
- Heat a griddle or frying pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat. Pour batter onto the griddle; cook until lightly brown and flip to ensure pancakes are fully cooked.
- Serve hot with a drizzle of agave nectar and fresh fruit.
Share your thoughts
Shouldn’t the flax seeds be ground into a meal? My recipe for buckwheat pancakes consists of three quarter part buckwheat flour to one quarter part of a mixture of protein powder, coconut flour, and homemade baking powder and himalayan sea salt. Mixed with almond milk and eggs the consistency seems to work well. I top with plain whole yogurt mixed with fruit.
Yes, I do grind the flax seeds always before using them. Thanks Kithara; I bet your pancakes are amazing…my clients love buckwheat pancakes and I often have them add chia seeds, too!
What a unique take on pancakes! How cool! Would love to try this! Thank you SO much for sharing this on my “A GF Holiday: Breakfast/Brunch Roundup!”
Ooh – great looking pancakes!
Looks great – never too late to have homemade buckwheat pancakes, even if it’s the day after National Pancake Day!
Avocado in pancakes?! That sounds awesome!! 🙂