We’re all on our own personal journeys. Some of us (like myself) call them adventures while others call them other things….
I’ve been thinking a lot about my personal journey and my shift from chronic illness and numbness to life — to a mindful, healthier space. So, to kick off your Monday morning- I’ve got something better than a cup of coffee for you. Put down that cup of joe and read on for a few things I’ve learned to accept to live my best life.
1. Never give up.
Ever. I could have given up numerous times. But somehow I didn’t. Life can be hard but it can also be glorious. I’ve suffered quite a bit but I’ve also laughed a lot too. Hold your head high and believe.
2. Accept moments of light and darkness.
I’ve seen a whole lotta both light and dark moments with my health but even in the darkest tunnels, I’ve wiped my tears, held my head high and believed. I stopped suppressing my feelings and started to feel everything….I got present with myself and woke up from a decade of being ‘numb’ to life from ongoing health issues. I learned to accept every part of myself, including my shadow. It’s said that if you hate something so much, it’s possible that you’re rejecting that part of yourself.
3. Life is about learning lessons.
I’ve learned a ton of lessons through my battles with chronic illness. I remember crying when I was 25 saying, “Why is this happening to me?” But now I’ve realized these illnesses were lessons that brought me to where I am today- I shifted my thoughts and said “This is happening FOR me, not TO me.”
4. Your choices bring you down different paths.
Each path we take is a choice that will take us somewhere else. Each decision we make, changes us. It’s amazing when you actually look back on your life at the small little ‘miracles’ that coincidentally worked out and took you exactly where you were meant to be.
5. Your body is your temple.
We come into this life with a body- and we don’t take it with us when we leave, so treat it like a temple. If you practice self-love and self-care, your body will thank you because you’ll feel amazing, look great and live a long, happy life.
6. Life is what YOU make of it.
It’s up to you–how you feel, what you create, what you do with your life. It’s up to you to fill your life with what you love and the people you love.
7. Choose love instead of fear.
Love is all there is. Simple as that. Stop living in fear and shift to living from a loving space instead of a fearful space.
8. Change how you view the world.
See the world with new eyes and understand the beauty of perspective because when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. How we view what happens to us is everything. If you think negatively- you’ll find negativity. If you think positively- you’ll find positivity.
9. Don’t sweat the small stuff.
This one doesn’t need an explanation. No sweating. No worrying about the small stuff.
Now, onto my newest creation: Warm White Bean Portobello Bowl. Get ready to dig in!
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- 1 cup wild rice
- 1 cup cooked white beans
- 2 Portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more if needed
- 2 Tbsp. raw pumpkin seeds
- pinch fresh lemon zest
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, rub mushrooms with ½ tsp. olive oil, salt and pepper; transfer to a large skillet over medium-low heat and saute whole for 2 minutes per side or until very tender.
- In a large bowl, toss rice with 1 tsp. olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper.
- Portion rice, beans, mushrooms and cabbage into serving bowls. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and garnish with pumpkin seeds and lemon zest.