This stuffed cabbage variation goes out to my mother, Joann and my dear grandmother, Isabel who made a similar dish when I was a young girl.
- 1 Medium Head of Cabbage
- 1 lb. Wild Caught Sockeye Salmon
- 1 cup finely Chopped Onion
- 1 Egg
- Dash of Nu-Salt and Pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 cup cooked Brown Rice
- 12 oz Organic Tomato Paste
- 3 cups water
- Dash of Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Core the cabbage and place head down in a pot of boiling water (enough water to cover cabbage head). Turn off heat.
- When cabbage softens, remove from water and separate leaves, leaving them whole.
- Trim heavy vein down to make it look flat
- Combine olive oil, onion, egg, seasonings of choice, rice and salmon in a bowl. Mix well.
- In a separate pot mix tomato paste and water over low heat. Mix until smooth-do not boil.
- In the center of each cabbage leaf place a nice dollop sized amount (about 3 tbsp. of this filling mixture). Fold two sides down toward center and roll. Secure with toothpicks.
- Place cabbage sacks in a large casserole dish (spray with olive oil first) and pour tomato paste on top-covering cabbage sacks.
- Place into oven for 30 minutes