I had the best of intentions when making this dish.
But somehow my busy week got the best of me and by the time I sat down to think about what the heck to make, I just tossed a few odds n’ ends together.
Cooking quinoa is quite simple and effortless and the best part about it is that it can be used all week in a variety of gluten-free dinner recipes that actually taste pretty darn good.
I was pleasantly surprised.
And I think you will be, too.
This dish is one of those easy-peasy-I’m-tired-and-don’t-want-to-make-dinner kind of nights. I’m sure you’ve been there, right? You’re exhausted. It’s late. The last thing you wanna do it turn on your stove top and get creative.
I get it.
Before you pick up that phone to dial for takeout and end up on your couch in front of the TV eating a cold bowl of noodles or pizza from the nearby takeout joint. Think again.
This dish takes less than 20 minutes and you can feel good about serving it to your family or eating it all by your lonesome and enjoying leftovers tomorrow for lunch.
Cook the quinoa in water. 15 minutes.
Toss with fresh lemon zest, sun-dried tomatoes and pine nuts.
Drizzle with olive oil.
Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
And, if you’re in NYC on July 1st Join Me For My NYC
Underground Supper Club Dinner Party Series – it’s all organic, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian! 7-9 PM Downtown Manhattan. To attend, please RSVP to: TheHealthyApple@gmail.com.
Try to buy everything organic. Here’s why: The Benefits of Eating Organic.
- ½ cup red quinoa (or white quinoa)
- 1 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1½ Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 3 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- sea salt and pepper, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Cook quinoa according to package directions. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl. Add sun dried tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, pine nuts, lemon zest, sea salt and pepper; toss to combine and serve warm.
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.