In Honor of Tartan Day on April the 6th…
I am excited to post this delicious salmon recipe from Tony Singh, Chef and Owner of Oloroso and Tony’s Table in Scotland.
Tony is one of Scotland’s leading culinary entrepreneurs changing the perception of Scottish cuisine from porridge and Haggis to fresh, innovative foods prepared to perfection. An Edinburgh native, Tony Singh has established himself as a leading force on the Scottish restaurant scene as co-founder and head chef of Oloroso – a celebrated city restaurant devoted to first-class food and wine in the heart of Scotland’s dynamic capital city.
- 1 cup Chopped Tinned Tomatoes
- 4 6oz Salmon Fillets
- 1 1/4 cup Diced Leeks
- 4 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
- 4 Chillies, finely chopped
- 5 tbsp. Ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Carom Seeds
- 1/2 tsp. Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp. Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup Red Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 cup Yellow Cherry Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/4 cup Tarragon left whole
- 6 tbsp. Olive oil
- Sugar to taste
Serve with Basmati rice
- For the Punjabi-Spiced Scottish Salmon, first set aside carom and leeks. Place all the other ingredients into a bowl and marinate the Scottish Salmon in this (over night is good but 2 hours is fine).
- Deep fry diced leeks in a fryer at 320 degrees; season with salt and put aside.
- For the tomato garnish, rub olive oil on an ovenproof tray then sprinkle with salt, pepper, sugar and chopped garlic. Place the tomatoes and then the herbs, and drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper and sugar. Cook in low oven for 1 to 2 hours until tomatoes are warm.
- To cook the salmon, heat oil (about 1 tbsp) in a pan until it smokes then remove from heat and cool for 1 minute.
- Add carom to flavor oil, let this cool for 1 minute, then pan fry salmon in this oil with all the marinade until just under cooked.
Place on warm plates, each with a portion of Basmati rice in the middle with the tomatoes around the outside of the rice, the fish on top of that. Then pile up some deep fried leeks on top and spoon round the marinade from the pan.