There’s nothing quite like a homemade corn bread when there’s a chill in the air. Especially when you’re snowed in with 30 inches of a winter wonderland outside your window…
So, I thought, why not strike up the oven and create a delicious homemade corn bread with a gluten free n’ vegan spin and a touch of sweet n’ savory in each bite.
Sweetness from the amazing Musselman’s Apple Butter…pure bliss to my taste buds. If you haven’t tasted their apple butter, I surely suggest you run on out and dip that spoon into the jar for an out-of-this-world experience. I usually spread it atop toast, muffins and grilled veggies, but today I thought, why not toss it into my cornbread for an extra sweet kick.
We were creating a homemade chili and my little brain got to thinking…how about a bit of corn bread to serve hot with our bowls of hearty chili.
And I did just that. Hot chili n’ hot cornbread.
There’s a first time for everything and this surely was a baking experiment…
Success at its best.
I kid you not.
You truly must try a bite.
Gluten Free n’ Vegan Cornbread
- 3 Tbsp. Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Sticks
- 1 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 3 Tbsp. Musselman’s Apple Butter
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup stevia for baking
- Egg substitute for 1 large egg
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. sesame seeds, plus more for topping
- 1/4 tsp. anise seeds, plus more for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the butter into a cast iron skillet. Transfer to the hot oven until melted.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well to combine.
- Remove hot skillet from the oven; transfer batter into the skillet. Sprinkle with additional sesame seeds and anise seeds.
- Place into the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Have you ever made cornbread from scratch? If so, I’d love to hear your recipe.
Click here for information on the Winter Retreat at Good Commons and be sure to give my name, Amie Valpone as your referral when booking!