Soft boiled or Hard boiled?
That is the question.
And I simply couldn’t decide which to make.
So, I made them both.
2 dozen eggs.
Fun? You betcha.
Mastering the semi-soft boil. Just the way I like ’em. Oooozy n’ gooey. We all love our hard-boiled eggs and our sunny side up eggies, as well but sometimes ya just want something in between. Am I right?
Welcome the soft-boil babies that have become by buddies in the morning. They’re soft and peel perfectly packed with a creamy yolk. And they look divine when served atop a salad, gluten-free pastas, oatmeal, and soups. Part of the trick is immersing the eggs in ice water.
My technique? It’s a simple one.
Soft Boiled Eggs: How To
- Bring 3 inches of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add 4 large eggs to the pan; boil for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Plunge eggs into ice water; let stand for 5 more minutes. Drain and peel.
Speaking of eggs…all that eggie terminology can be confusing when you’re at the market so here’s a lil’ brief description on what’s inside those shells.
Cage-Free: More humane treatment than battery crowding, but lightly regulated.
Hormone-Free: There are not hormone products approved for egg production.
Vegetarian-Fed: No nutritional difference, but some vegetarians prefer this type of egg.
Omega-3: These hens eat flaxseeds and therefore lay eggs that may be higher in Omega 3 fatty acids.
And just in time for your 4th of July BBQ this weekend, here are a few ideas for some tasty deviled eggs you can whip up in mere minutes.
Deviled Lil’ Deviled Eggs
Add n’ Mix Ins:
- Top with caviar
- Top with dulse flakes
- Top with chili powder
- Mix in capers
- Mix in fresh cilantro, basil or rosemary
- Mix in homemade salsa
- Mix in chutney
- Mix in relish
- Mix in spicy mustard
- Mix in scallions or chives
My Favorite Deviled Egg Combination:
- 12 Jumbo hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1/3 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Veganaise (Vegan Mayo)
- 2 Scallions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Salsa
- 1 tsp.Dijon Mustard
- Dash of sea salt and pepper
- Dash of chili powder
- Dash of smoked paprika
Mayo Substitution Options:
- Greek yogurt
- Low Fat Cottage Cheese
- Low Fat Ricotta Cheese
- Veganaise (Vegan Mayo)
- Nasoya Mayonnaise
- Half eggs lengthwise with a sharp knife.
- Gently remove the yolks.
- Place yolks into a food processor with your choice of mayonnaise substitute, chives or scallions, relish, mustard, sea salt and pepper. Process until smooth.
- Spoon yolk mixture into each egg white half. Sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
As you know, I have worked with and love Share Our Strength, a national nonprofit working to end childhood hunger in America. This organization has ambitious goals and is working creatively to meet them, making sure that children don’t just have enough to eat, but that they are getting the nutrition they need to learn, grow and thrive. Yahoo! has committed to donate $20,000 to Share Our Strength. In turn, you have the opportunity to show your support of this partnership by setting Yahoo! as your homepage by clicking on this link.
Do you prefer soft boiled or hard boiled eggs?
Have a safe and Happy 4th of July.